User Account Control Error Message in Windows Vista

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
DannyBoy99
Rattled Rabbit

User Account Control Error Message in Windows Vista

Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:53 am

Dear Sir/Madame:

I have just purchased the new Windows Vista operating system and receive this error message upon launching MailWasher Pro (version 6.1) EVERY TIME:
-An Unidentified program wants access to your computer
-MailWasher.exe
-unidentified publisher

After doing some research online it appears I receive this error message because this particular version of MailWasher Pro DOES NOT have a digitally signed signature. Is this something that can be fixed?

Thanks in advance
Dan Flanagan
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: User Account Control Error Message in Windows Vista

Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:31 am

Just another user here but sure the problem can be fixed, nothing to it.

Well one thing - You have to give Microsoft some serious money to get them to sign your program, then give them more for every update. We looked into this a while back for a program we were developing at another company and the costs and hassles were way out of line.

If you give the Microsoft website a search you can find the ugly details.
DannyBoy99
Rattled Rabbit

Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

I have pasted the paragraph below from the Microsoft web site:
An unidentified program is one that doesn't have a valid digital signature from its publisher to ensure that the program is what it claims to be. This doesn't necessarily indicate danger, as many older, legitimate programs lack signatures. However, you should use extra caution and only allow this program to run if you obtained it from a trusted source, such as the original CD or a publisher's website.

Was wondering if MailWasher had any plans to update their application to include this 'digital signature.'

Thanks again,
DannyBoy99
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:06 pm

I can't speak for Firetrust (just a customer) but it has been a blackmail operation from Microsoft for a long time and the Firetrust folks haven't let themselves be shaken down yet. Harsh words, yep - but that is what it is. MS added that pop-up to windows and told every programmer to cough up some bucks or Windows would say nasty and usually untrue things about their program.

How much more would you be willing to pay for your copy of MW if they added this? The money has to come from somewhere and the folks at Firetrust aren't getting rich from the sound of things. That means the user (you) has to pay for it. Personally I wouldn't want to pay more for my basic MW.

I'd be really unhappy about paying for the updates that are currently free just to make Microsoft more money for doing nothing but issuing a digital signature. Remember every update involves sending off another bucket of bucks to MS for their seal of approval. Somebody has to pay the money and it is gonna be the users getting soaked.

I'd as soon have a visit from Guido and Frankie Fish Lips and their baseball bat - offering me knee insurance. At least you can trust Guido, if he says he isn't gonna let Frankie or anyone else break your knees you can trust him.

How many Microsoft virus programs, spyware bots and other nasties do you think have digital signatures from Microsoft? Does this "protection racket" that MS is running keep them out of your computer?

Nope, they all install and run just fine. Seems MS can't be trusted as far as Guido!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:00 pm

We've got a digital certificate, and that will be added next version. We did have it added in the latest beta versions, except in 6.2.4 which we missed off by accident.

The digital certificates themselves don't come from MS, we bought ours from Komodo?, was only a couple of hundred I think for two years....I forget....anyway, it just requires us to prove our identity to them, so Firetrust is who we say we are :)

Also if you check the properties of the MailWasher shortcut, be sure you aren't running MailWasher as Admin, as this will also bring up the UAC confirmation dialog.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:54 pm

That is good news, we had to go through MS and it was a lot more back when we looked at it.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:59 pm

This is the program (well a newer version of it) that we looked into that was so expensive.

http://www.lionbridge.com/lionbridge/en ... ricing.htm
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:05 pm

stan_qaz wrote:This is the program (well a newer version of it) that we looked into that was so expensive.

http://www.lionbridge.com/lionbridge/en ... ricing.htm
Ah right, I've seen those...as well as the "Works with Vista" program, which MS asked us to join up with, allows you to use fancy logos....I think is free, but requires a digital certificate. We just don't care enough to bother, and really it's the digital signing that is more important.

Return to “General Site”