Recycle Bin

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
gasbag
Rattled Rabbit

Recycle Bin

Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi, another first timer! I have been using Mailwasher Free succesfully for many months. I have never used the recycle bin before but a couple of days ago I needed to restore some items from the recycle bin. I have been able to succesfully restore items that I had originally marked as 'Delete', 'Blacklist' and 'Bounce' without opening, but e mails that I had opened and subsequently deleted, although showing as being in the recycle bin, these I can not restore. When I try to restore them a different e-mail is returned to me instead of the one I have highlighted.

Also, at present in 'Recycle Bin Options' it is showing 28 days as the period to keep the e-mails. I would like to increase this period slightly but the 28 figure is not highlighted and can not be changed. In addition to this, at the top of 'Recycle Bin Options' the Icon 'Enable Recycle Bin' is not highlighted and this can not be changed either. Is this because I am using the Free version or because I may not have got the settings set up correctly.

Problem 3 is that up to very recently when I have checked my e-mails on Mailwasher and Deleted/ Blacklisted/ Bounced e mails I did not want, the remainder of the e mails would then download satisfactory into my Outlook Express and the items I had downloaded would then automatically clear from the Mailwasher window so that the next time I opened up my computer mailwasher would only show newly recieved e-mails. Now e-mails that I have accepted in Outlook Express remain in the Mailwasher window. This means every time I open Mailwasher the list includes loads of e-mails I have already seen. I have not changed any settings.

appreciate any help
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Re: Recycle Bin

Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:51 am

gasbag wrote:Hi, another first timer! I have been using Mailwasher Free succesfully for many months. I have never used the recycle bin before but a couple of days ago I needed to restore some items from the recycle bin. I have been able to succesfully restore items that I had originally marked as 'Delete', 'Blacklist' and 'Bounce' without opening, but e mails that I had opened and subsequently deleted, although showing as being in the recycle bin, these I can not restore. When I try to restore them a different e-mail is returned to me instead of the one I have highlighted.
I wasn't aware that the recycle bin worked with MW free. Secondly, WRT bouncing msgs, you might want to read What_is_Wrong_With_Bouncing_Spam.
gasbag wrote:Also, at present in 'Recycle Bin Options' it is showing 28 days as the period to keep the e-mails. I would like to increase this period slightly but the 28 figure is not highlighted and can not be changed. In addition to this, at the top of 'Recycle Bin Options' the Icon 'Enable Recycle Bin' is not highlighted and this can not be changed either. Is this because I am using the Free version or because I may not have got the settings set up correctly.
I suspect the former.
gasbag wrote:Problem 3 is that up to very recently when I have checked my e-mails on Mailwasher and Deleted/ Blacklisted/ Bounced e mails I did not want, the remainder of the e mails would then download satisfactory into my Outlook Express and the items I had downloaded would then automatically clear from the Mailwasher window so that the next time I opened up my computer mailwasher would only show newly recieved e-mails. Now e-mails that I have accepted in Outlook Express remain in the Mailwasher window. This means every time I open Mailwasher the list includes loads of e-mails I have already seen. I have not changed any settings.
Nothing to do with MWP. Check your email client. Somehow it's no longer deleting msgs once downloaded. There's a "Leave msgs at the server" option or somesuch. Make sure msgs are not being kept and MWP will no longer keep telling you they are still there.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:02 pm

Are you right clicking the message you want to Restore and selecting the 'Restore Email' option that way, if so, try using the 'Restore Email' button and see if that helps.
gasbag
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:17 am

Hi
Thanks to Ikeb and rustidog for your replies.

Re. The 3 problems I mentioned.

I have read the item regarding bouncing e-mails. I recall reading up on this some time ago. In view of that I will curtail my use of bouncing.

Re. The fault with messages staying on the Mailwasher page is down to me. I had forgotten that I had alterred settings in Outlook Express. I have now dealt with this.

As regards the opening of mail from the Mailwasher Recycle Bin. It is possible to open mail from here by clicking on 'Show Deleted'. This shows e mails that were deleted without opening. By highlighting an e-mail here and either clicking on the 'Restore Email' icon at the bottom, or right clicking on the mouse, the highlighted e mail will be sent to Outlook Express and can be read.
However if from the recycle bin the 'Show All' icon is selected the 'Restore Email' icon at the bottom remains inactive unless an unopened e mail is highlighted. Highlighting a previosly opened email that was subsequently deleted the ''Restore Email' icon at the bottom remains inactive. Right clicking on the mouse and clicking on 'restore email' will not active the e mail being sent. I guess this is the way Mailwasher Free is set up. No doubt the Pro version would permit the return of any e mail in the recycle bin. Myabe if I upgraded to Pro I would have this facility but I suspect by doing this the existing e mails in the recycle bin would not transfer.

Return to “General Site”