Expanding the community ?

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Expanding the community ?

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:11 pm

I don't think this is really a great idea, but I don't have much in the way of a better one either.

Currently I maintain a list of dodgy websites as seen here http://firetrust.com/en/blog/chris/the- ... nese-scams
The problem is, being a blog system, the comments system isn't suited conversation. The comments are at 35 pages now, and I think it's 100 or 150 comments per page. It is the most visited page on the Firetrust website and has been for some time.

I really need to disable comments, but I do still want people sending new sites my way as well, so the forums seems like a reasonable path to take. The problem with forums is that given I won't allow guest posting, there will be a lot of One Post Wonders. It will also draw unwanted attention from scammers, however I'm not adverse to blocking China from accessing the site either.

The other project? I have going is http://scamchecker.net/ which is something I did in response to the above list, and being asked so many questions. So it makes sense to incorporate that somehow.

The other option is to send folk over to www.FraudWatchers.org but I'd need to be involved over there to keep up to date, and I'm just not sure how thinly I can spread myself.

Anyone got some advice or thoughts ?
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Expanding the community ?

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:31 pm

Nothing wrong with opening up a few more forums here for that sort of thing, it might even get you a few more paid users.

As long as you stick to the no guest users policy it shouldn't be a problem as it won't disrupt the other forums.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:37 pm

stan_qaz wrote:Nothing wrong with opening up a few more forums here for that sort of thing, it might even get you a few more paid users.

As long as you stick to the no guest users policy it shouldn't be a problem as it won't disrupt the other forums.
I guess I'm worried about what kind of community would emerge, judging by the comments in the blog
can u tell me about www.flickr.com are they scammers?
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:08 pm

A lot of that type won't bother to register and even of the ones that do as long as you direct them to the proper forum from your blog they won't be a problem elsewhere.

If they are the forum reporting will make it simple for you to boot them and clean up their posts.

Return to “General Site”