I/E and FireFox

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

I/E and FireFox

Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:19 pm

Why do they behave in a different manner on this forum?

Using I/E7 - It automatically flags the topics and posts as read when I exit the topics in a particular post. The same happens when I exit the post. The little blue box on the folder has vanished.

Using FireFox - I have to read each individual topic, remember it, move on to the next one and once I have read them all I have to click 'All topics read'. Same applies to 'Posts'.

Am I missing something (besides a bit of grey matter :dead ) as both desktop and laptop behave the same. :help

No :bs
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT

I am only a ßeta Tester and getting older as well.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: I/E and FireFox

Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:09 pm

Are you taking persistent cookies in FF, that is what I had to do to get the post indicators to work.

I open any forum with new indicators with a ctrl-click then open any new post in each forum with another ctrl-click and close the forum. When I come back after closing all the tabs the new post indicators are gone.
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:57 pm

Sorry you lost me with 'persistent cookies'. Is that set up in FF.

As to ctrl-click - that opens a new tab every time.

I'll have a bit of a fiddle and see how I go. Thanks for quick reply.

Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:58 am

Persistent cookie - Also called "permanent" or "stored" cookie, a cookie that is stored on a user’s hard drive until it expires, or is deleted - with CCleaner, ATF, Windows Disk Cleanup, etc. Persistent cookies are used to collect identifying information, such as your site "credentials" (password and username) so you can be automatically logged in upon next visit.

Session cookie - Also called a transient cookie, a cookie that is deleted when the browser session is closed. They typically will store information in the form of a session identification that does not personally identify the user.

Firefox Support - About Cookies
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:04 am

In the Linux version of Firefox look on Edit, Preferences , Privacy and the Cookies/Exception button. Add forum.firetrust.com there.

The setting should be the same in Windows but you might have to get to it from a different menu.
sndrdg
βeta Tester

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:17 am

My observation....

Message read tracking - not likely stored in any cookies (persistent or otherwise). I use multiple computers - and the read marks seem to be maintained correctly across all computers. I will have to assume that the tracking of these read messages - must be (in part) a function of the bulletin board software - and that this info is stored external to my computer. Try it for yourself ....

Regards,

Doug
Windows® 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit {EN}
AMD® Athalon™II x3 434 / Memory: 4GB
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (v341.44)
Thunderbird v2.0.0.24 / Firefox v53.0
Gmail via IMAP / Verizon Digital Voice via POP3
MailWasherPRO - v7.7
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:51 am

Seems fine for me in Firefox, a refresh doesn't work I take it ? I just wonder if you are seeing a cached page instead...

I don't use it, but would an addon like Fasterfox do something like this and load from cache instead of requesting new page information ?
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:11 pm

RD, you were right about a refresh. That sets the posts/topics as being read. It is somehow tied in with 'clocklink'. Instead of showing 'Done' in bottom left hand corner it shows 'Transferring data from clocklink.com...'. After refresh it shows as 'Done'. What a pain in the butt. :yuck
clocklink.jpg
clocklink.jpg (21.53 KiB) Viewed 9533 times

Why a day off? Is that to celebrate your loss to the Aussies (once again :lol: ).

rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:35 pm

When I can get someone with time and nous, I'll see about a better clock, ideally one that isn't relying on third party.

Today is Labour Day, I guess there's an irony I get a day off commemorating an 8 hour working day when I only do 3.

The rugby league last night was pretty disappointing, though playing against Aussie it always is :) ....and Scott Dixon got pipped by an Aussie in the Indy.....still, rugby union game coming up, surely we can take that one.

Failing that I think NZ should really rethink it's sporting decisions against Aussie, we should launch some new sports that we have a much better chance at.

Sheep chasing.
HuHu Grub eating.
Anything involved Math.

You guys would have us nailed at being able to throw a stick that comes hurtling back and smashing into your own head, but frankly I'm not sure that's something we'd want to win anyway.

Return to “General Site”