Spam using my own email address

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
jonesit
It begins with a single step

Spam using my own email address

Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:58 pm

I have just started to get spam which purports to come from my own email address, - currently I have myself "not surprisingly" as a Friend. I guess I can switch the filter and mark myself as on the blacklist but will this cause me any problems? Does anyone have a recommended cause of action please :?: Thanks, Ian
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Spam using my own email address

Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:36 am

Take yourself off both the friends and black lists.

Create a simple filter to look at the from line in your message to include your name. So instead of the friend list only looking at "joe@example.com" the filter will look at "<Joe Smith> joe@example.com".

The easy way to do the filter is to send yourself an e-mail, switch to source view (the buttons under the mail grid) copy the from line. Open the filter spam tool and select the entire header contains and past your from line into the text box. If you send from multiple places you can check on all of them from the same filter.

I think the wiki has some examples.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
PA.Dutchman
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:32 pm

Did the suggestion work for you? This is happening to us too and I wondered if the fix actually fixed it.

Many thanks, :)
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:38 pm

It works for me, it correctly tags mail from 7 different accounts that I send and has found every forgery that I've gotten from spammers.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:34 am

There's a spamwiki article about it here:
http://spamtrackers.eu/wiki/index.php?t ... ld_of_spam

Just be aware that some websites that send you notices may put your own email address in the "from," even though it wasn't sent from your computer. Capwiz, a service that processes emails sent to members of congress in the US, does this. So you may not want to make anything an autodelete filter, lest you use a new site and not realize that's how they do things.

Return to “General Site”