Getting spam everyday from our email address!

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
PA.Dutchman
Travelling Tuatara

Getting spam everyday from our email address!

Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:06 am

We keep getting spam everyday from various sites and it shows it is always from us!
:(
This has been going on for a couple weeks. I never reply and can't put them on our Blacklist because it will Blacklist our own email address.

What the heck can we do???

Under From it is always our email address in the Mail Washer heading.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Re: Getting spam everyday from our email address!

Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:33 am

Don't bother with the blacklist; the "from" address is never real in spam. Even ones that superficially are following the CAN-SPAM law will keep registering new domains, spam them a short time, and discard them. They don't expose their real website unless you click though the link to the "throwaway domain." All you get from adding things to the blacklist is a blacklist so long it slows down MWP.

MWP is very good for filtering for these, though. Is there anything about your emails that is unique (they all come from one IP address, for instance?) Or if not, can you get everyone to add the same exact string of text to the "organization" field of their outgoing emails (maybe the name of your company if it isn't the same as the domain name of the email, or even just a number that everyone in the company can remember, like the phone number of the local luncheonette)?

Anyway, make sure everyone who sends an email that will be listed as "from" your email address will include that same filterable item. Then set up a filter that IF the "from" is one of your addresses AND IF the complete headers do NOT include that item, it is spam. If you can make sure no one is going to get a new laptop and forget to set up his email on the new machine correctly for this, then it's a good enough filter to use as an autodelete.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:55 am

Try this for a filter, you can have multiple conditions in the first and second filters if you have multiple e-mail addresses.

http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... it=From%3A
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
PA.Dutchman
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:50 am

All the Froms are with my email address, but it the body of the email they have different return or request Internet addresses.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:13 am

That sounds just like the ones I get.

Did you try the filter I suggested? It tags every one of the ones arriving here.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:39 am

I did a spamwiki article on this. It's maybe more information than you need, but it explains why we're all so certain we can tell real and fake emails apart:
http://spamtrackers.eu/wiki/index.php?t ... ld_of_spam

Return to “General Site”