Need more to combat junk

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
wraiththe
Student Sheep

Need more to combat junk

Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:05 am

I would like to see more. It seems like using mailwasher gets me even more junk.
I would like to see
1) more ways to report junk mail... offered up front so we can find it easily and add to the reporting function.
2) better bouncing
3) ways to use reporting to send email to phishing reporting services like
phish@fb.com;
reportphishing@antiphishing.org;
Phish@Phishtank.com;
phishing-report@us-cert.gov;
reportphishing@apwg.org;
scam@netcraft.com;

So I do not have to do it manually. I could create an email folder and put all the phishing emails in it.

Do the bouncing emails actually look like what a real bounce looks like?
For instance, Outlook will change links to supposed safe links in emails. Do the bouncing emails send IPS modified emails or the actual emails.

I seem to constantly get multiple emails from the same domain and often emails to all my alias on a certain email provider.

This needs to be more active and more streamlined... I Have been using Mailwasher Pro for at least a decade... it helps sort through email quicker and I love the filters... but would like to see it more pro-active in stopping junk... or analyzing headers to show spoofed addresses... and how people send emails with no sender... etc.
Are you aware that you may not be aware?
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Re: Need more to combat junk

Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:15 am

Unfortunately, if there were a way to stop junk mail that was highly effective, there wouldn't be so much junk mail. You can let someone else filter it and take the risk that they will delete something important, or you can filter it yourself with MW and just accept that there will be much more spam than legitimate mail.

If you aren't building your own filters using regular expressions, it's worth learning. For instance, you can create a filter that will flag anything that has your own email address as the "from" but doesn't have other information in the headers that would be present in an email you sent yourself. You can flag things that say they come from Amazon or your bank but don't come from an Amazon IP address.

I would not bounce emails. Legal spammers, at least in the US, have to let you unsubscribe, and if you don't trust them to do that, they're easy to block with the blacklist button. Illegal spammers will put someone else's email address in the "from" field, so when your bounce delivers their spam message to that innocent third party, your email could be added to a spam blocklist. Properly configured servers don't bounce emails if the recipient doesn't exist anymore, so your bounces will generally be ignored if by some chance they get to the actual sender. The main use now is if you are trying to convince a stalker that you have changed your email address.
wraiththe
Student Sheep

Re: Need more to combat junk

Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:17 am

1) it would seem taht if the from field does not equal the actual sender... it is spam
2) if the email address has jibberish... spam
3) if the sender or subject line has non standard characters... spam
4) if the sender is gmail... %99 spam
Are you aware that you may not be aware?

Return to “General Tech. Help”