firewall security

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
garfld
Travelling Tuatara

firewall security

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:37 am

Hi. My computer broke and I just got a replacement computer. They upgraded me to a 64 bit version of vista. I tried to download zonealarm but it's not set up for 64 bit. What does anyone recommend I use instead for a firewall?

Thanks!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: firewall security

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:42 pm

Comodo have a free 64bit firewall. http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/down ... ewall.html

Vista also includes the Windows Firewall as well, which is what I use.
garfld
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks for your opinion. I did already turn on the windows firewall. Didn't know if I could rely on it. Have been using ZA for a long long time.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:56 pm

It seems like a very competent firewall, though I'm puzzled why it's Rules Interface seems to be buried. My understanding is though that is doesn't restrict software on your system like Zone Alarm would. But if you follow decent measures to protect your machine, and were also running AntiVirus and AntiSpyware programs I don't think that's so much of an issue.

If you click your Windows Button, type wf.msc and click OK it will open the Windows Firewall utility, which is much different than the Windows Firewall interface you see through your Control Panel.

I can't speak much about Comodo, having not used that. Hopefully there's some other 64bit users hanging around who can chime in what they use.
garfld
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:14 pm

I looked at wf.msc and it's interesting but ... what the heck ... there's no rules specified. I don't have any rules. Don't let anybody call out without my permission. It was so easy in za!

But, I'm a pretty careful person so I'll keep this on for a while.

Thanks again.
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:44 am

The latest paid version of ZoneAlarm is Vista 64-bit compatible. For example, see the change log for Zone Alarm Security Suite v8.0.298.000. I understand that it runs as a 32-bit programme, but it is designed to work with Vista 64-bit.

I haven't tried it on a Vista 64-bit system, but this latest version has run without problems on my 32-bit Windows XP machine and the Zone Alarm forums don's seem to be flooded with the complaints that have been a feature of so many of the past Zone Alarm upgrades.
Windows 10
garfld
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:34 am

Thanks for your comment. I'm a little surprised that when ZA wouldn't install, it didn't notify me that there is a 64 bit version available. But, I'm trying to stick with free as much as I can. ;-)

Return to “General Tech. Help”