Friends Only Filter?

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
Genie39
Student Sheep

Friends Only Filter?

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:03 pm

We have recently been hit by a barrage of spam that apparently have an automatic change in the sending address. After several days I realized that I couldn't keep up by adding filters for sender addresses; they were constantly changing. The subjects, lower mortgage rates, get background info on anybody, contact them for access to $X,XXX that has just come my way, a surefire way to up my credit rating . . .and so forth.

I can block these pretty effectively in Thunderbird for my email by a filter to accept only addresses in my personal address book, with all others going to Trash. But I'm still faced with 50 or so of these irritating emails showing up in my Mailwasher (Pro 6.5.4) every day.

Questions:

I realize that Mailwasher has its blacklist for identifying and intercepting this junk, but in this scheme the bad guys are changing their identity with these no doubt fake return addresses.

Can MW block this ploy?

Or Is there any add-on or app that will, in effect, serve as a "negative blacklist" that is based on my MW friend's list so nothing else will display?

Thanks.

Genie39 Rattled Rabbit Posts: 3Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:28 am
lowestcassy
Rattled Rabbit

Re: Friends Only Filter?

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:41 pm

I don't see any resolution here but I must say that this can be a good help. Maybe we can request it.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Genie39 wrote:I realize that Mailwasher has its blacklist for identifying and intercepting this junk, but in this scheme the bad guys are changing their identity with these no doubt fake return addresses.

Can MW block this ploy?
The V6 does not have this provision.

Genie39 wrote:Or Is there any add-on or app that will, in effect, serve as a "negative blacklist" that is based on my MW friend's list so nothing else will display?

Thanks.
MWP does not support add-ons.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 pm

lowestcassy wrote:I don't see any resolution here but I must say that this can be a good help. Maybe we can request it.
It's already available as an in-built feature on the later iteration - the V7 (without the need for add-ons.) ;)
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Genie39
Student Sheep

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:00 am

Thanks very much for the responses. I've downloaded MW 7 trial and am setting it up.

Although it has apparently imported part of my blacklist from my 6.5 version, I don't see my friends list.

Is the MW7 friends list populated from MW 6.5 version data still on my system or from my Thunderbird contacts list?

Either way, is there a way to do this manually?

If the latter, how do I import my wife's Thunderbird contact list on a second computer on our lan to MW7?
marianphowse
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:09 pm

I think the new version is better with spam so no need for filters.

Return to “General Tech. Help”