How to set up Windows 10 Mail program tied to my Gmail account?

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
homeport
Student Sheep

How to set up Windows 10 Mail program tied to my Gmail account?

Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:53 am

I use Windows 10 Mail as my email client. I use MailWasher 7.9.0. I also have Gmail as my primary email program. When I set up my mailwasher after installing Windows 10, I used my Gmail email address. In the Email Account Settings window, I notice that under Accounts, it is showing the Gmail "M" icon with my initials.
I want my Windows Mail account to mirror my Gmail emails and folders. In other words, I don't want to establish another account. At the same time, I would like to make sure that I should not have the Win10 Mail icon and symbol showing in the MW Settings.

The main reason for asking this question is: In the past month, I wanted to try another email client other than Mail. I chose eM Client. Again, this was to be tied to my Gmail emails and folders. But, I did not know how to see the eM Client in the MW Settings. Eventually, I had to remove the eM Client because it would bring over and mirror the Gmail folders, but the folders would be empty. Nothing I tried, nor could I find information that helped me. Therefore, I had to remove it and settle for the Win10 Mail. This program did bring over the Gmail Folders with the emails in them.

My question is: If I decide to go to another email client, and want it to mirror my Gmail account, how do I set it up in the MW Settings? Is the Gmail icon with my initials what I should expect to see, or should it directly relate to the email client I newly installed with its specific icon? Thanks
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: How to set up Windows 10 Mail program tied to my Gmail account?

Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:56 am

I notice that under Accounts, it is showing the Gmail "M" icon with my initials.
Are you referring to the icons like this ?
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (22.89 KiB) Viewed 18301 times
If so, the M is the the favourite icon that www.gmail.com uses, you'll see the same small icon in a tab when you visit the website in your browser. MailWasher loads these icons purely as a visual indicator only. Your initial are taking from the Account Description in MailWasher under Settings >> Accounts >> General. This also is just a visual display to help you identify the account.

When you use another email client, all you want to do in MailWasher is change the client under Settings >> General >> Washing Mail >> select the new program from the drop down folder.
homeport
Student Sheep

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:07 am

This is why I am confused. When i go to Settings>>General>>.....I do not get "Washing Mail". The Window10 MAIL program does not show up as a choice. In fact, if I click on Add Email Account, it gives me "Unnamed" with a blue triangle next to it with an exclamation point inside. Somehow, it is treating my Gmail as the Client account. Am I correct? If so, it seems to me that it is acting as though there is no "MAIL" account, but only a Gmail account.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:21 am

homeport wrote:This is why I am confused. When i go to Settings>>General>>.....I do not get "Washing Mail".
That sounds like you're looking in Settings >> Accounts. If you go to Settings >> select General on the left, then Washing Mail in the menu.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (89.13 KiB) Viewed 18295 times
homeport wrote:The Window10 MAIL program does not show up as a choice. In fact, if I click on Add Email Account, it gives me "Unnamed" with a blue triangle next to it with an exclamation point inside. Somehow, it is treating my Gmail as the Client account. Am I correct? If so, it seems to me that it is acting as though there is no "MAIL" account, but only a Gmail account.
Gotcha, I know I'm going to explain myself poorly, but you're confusing email Accounts, with Clients.

When you setup another email client, eM Mail, Windows Mail etc...that doesn't mean you need to do anything to your Accounts in MailWasher, it already has your GMail account there and working. MailWasher goes direct to GMail, it doesn't care what email client you have or use.
homeport
Student Sheep

Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:38 pm

Sorry for the confusion. It was me, not you. When I looked at Washing Mail, it did show "Mail for Windows" with its icon. In addition, it also has a checkbox for "Use default email program icon" if I chose to use it.
Thanks very much for your help.
homeport
Student Sheep

Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:10 pm

Rusticdog, I forgot to mention. Your explanation was very clear. It is not often that I get as clear and precise an answer as you gave. Keep up the good work.
Herschel
Bendo
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:09 pm

This was not a syncing issue @grace
Bendo
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:18 am

grace wrote:
Bendo wrote:This was not a syncing issue @grace
May be i misread, thanks for pointing it out.

Yes no prob!
Bendo
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:19 am

grace wrote:I realized after you mentioned it and i read it here.

Its okay. Nothing to worry about :)

Return to “General Tech. Help”