Any ideas why .png files not displaying in Outlook Express?

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
arglet
Mystified Moa

Any ideas why .png files not displaying in Outlook Express?

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:59 am

Hello all.
I am running an old Win XP machine which I have to keep because of drivers not being available in Win 7 for some of my devices.
This isn't a Mailwasher issue (although the problem does show up) and I am sure it is some corruption in settings or file type associations within XP itself.
Basically, if I view an email either in Mailwasher or Outlook Express, any .png type images appear as an outline box with a red 'X' in the top left hand corner. (Please see attached screen dump).
The protocol of the image is Hypertext Transfer Protocol with Privacy and I have checked that the settings for this are ok (in file type associations).
I am using Firefox and if I copy and paste the URL of the .png image into the browser, the image displays correctly so I'm pretty sure the setting must be correct. The image is from eBay so I can't see that it is related to them, it's just their standard email logo. Other websites using HTTP with privacy but with .jpg embedded images all work correctly.
.png images already on the hard drive all open and display correctly (with the default Windows Image & Fax viewer default in file type associations).
Everything was working correctly until about a month ago and no modifications to the machine setup have been done - the fault just appeared.
Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I have spent hours searching for ideas but so far nothing has made any difference. It doesn't really matter but I hate not being able to sort this out.
Hope to hear from you soon, thanks in anticipation of your input on this.
Kind regards. arglet
P.S. I am running latest versions of Mailwasher, Firefox and Norton Internet Security 2017.
Attachments
screen dump.jpg
screen dump.jpg (303.25 KiB) Viewed 15250 times
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Any ideas why .png files not displaying in Outlook Express?

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:41 pm

In Outlook Express try going into Tools >> Options >> select the Security tab >> there should be an option there about blocking external content/images that you can disable.

That may however have potential to create vulnerabilities on the machine, given both the OS and email client you use are no longer being patched. You've got a decent AntiVirus program, so just consider your important files etc.. are backed up somewhere.
arglet
Mystified Moa

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Many thanks for your speedy reply to my post, much appreciated.
I have already checked the settings in Outlook Express and they are fine, so unfortunately it must be something else.
As I mentioned in my post, the same problem exists in Mailwasher so I guess it must be a setting somewhere which affects both programs.
I'm currently removing and re-installing Norton just in case there is a block there somewhere, but not holding out much hope.
Thanks again for your input on this,
Regards, arglet
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Outlook Express and MailWasher both use an IE based framework for rendering HTML. So there could be something in your Internet Explorer settings that might be causing this. I don't have access to an XP machine anymore unfortunately, so it's a lot of guess work.

Clearning temp files may help
For IE6:

Clear the Temporary Internet Files: In IE | Tools | Internet Options |
Delete Files button. And check the box to Delete Offline content.

For IE7:

Tools | Internet Options | General Tab | Browsing History | Delete Temporary
Internet Files.
I'd also run a Disk Cleanup from the Administrative Tools to be sure your TEMP folders aren't full.

I can find a few posts from users with the same issue, but none of them have any solution with it :thumbsdown
arglet
Mystified Moa

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks again for your speedy reply.
I did wonder if it could be an IE problem as I suspected Outlook Express used that framework (Microsoft......).
I have already cleared the temp files manually but I will try your suggestion of deleting through Internet Options - good idea!
Must sleep now it's 4:30am so I will have another attempt tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Regards, arglet
arglet
Mystified Moa

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:55 am

Update to my previous post.
I have done the deletes through Internet Options and run Microsoft's Disk Cleanup and also from Norton Utilities.
Sorry to say this has made no difference and the error remains so still at a loss here.
I do appreciate your help with this but please don't worry too much, it's only a cosmetic problem really.
Regards, arglet
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Install the last working version of Java for your platform — current version for other platforms won't work.

Navigate to the Control Panel >>----> Internet Options >>----> Advanced >>----> Multimedia >>----> enable (tick) Show Pictures >>----> disable (un-tick) Show image download placeholders.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
arglet
Mystified Moa

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:09 am

Hello,
Thank you for your input on this problem,
I have already checked the settings you have suggested and I can confirm that I am running Java 7-72 (final XP version) and that Internet Options are as you have stated.
This error only appears for both HTTP with privacy and .png file types. Everything else is working correctly, i.e. HTTP with privacy and .jpg works fine and HTTP with .png also works correctly.
I must be missing something I guess :?
Regards, arglet

Return to “General Tech. Help”