Verizon FIOS bouncing

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
ronj218
Mystified Moa

Verizon FIOS bouncing

Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:59 am

I have Verizon FIOS (Fiber Optic) not DSL and they (Verizon) will not let me bounce the spam because they see it as I am spamming the spammers. I thought I could use the Hotmail account because the SMTP server gets in the way (see pic). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried alot of things but nothing seems to work.
Mailwasher.JPG
a pic of email washer bounce complaint
Mailwasher.JPG (153.41 KiB) Viewed 9990 times
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Verizon FIOS bouncing

Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:40 pm

Have you verified that the message was really from the address MW is attempting to forge a bounce message to? That is the first step you need to take, otherwise you are committing mail abuse by sending a forged message to an innocent person. MW makes no attempt to direct the bounce message if forges properly and will happily send it on to whatever address the spammer has supplied.

A good tool to see if the message is forged is spamcop.net and MW will submit messages to them for you and you can get a free spamcop.net account. Once spamcop has verified that the address or other header bits is not forged you will at least not be damaging an innocent person. You will of course be supplying the spammer with your e-mail address and IP address as well as other bits of personal information. That is not a good idea as the spammer than has a number of methods of making you regret your forged bounce.

Much safer is to just do the spamcop.net report and get the spammer blocked and possibly kicked off their hosting site while not exposing yourself, any more than you have to, to retaliation.

If you want to pursue the bouncing turn on extended logging (under help, about) bounce a single message and send the socket log to your ISP for assistance on determining why they refused to transmit the message you had forged the header on using their server.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
ronj218
Mystified Moa

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Well it used to work before (when I had road runner) and work real good because spammers dissapeared. Here is a segment of what Verizon says you can read all of it at the link following the statement.
Spam and Outgoing Message FAQs

Verizon adds additional security and protection to subscriber accounts by taking measures both to prevent spam from being sent to our customers and to safeguard our network from being used by spammers. These measures include scanning all incoming and outgoing e-mail so that spam can be captured and contained before it reaches our customers or before it can be sent from our network. The FAQs you see below provide information related to our efforts to reduce spam and what to do if you receive a message that your outgoing mail contains spam.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHel ... 123706.htm
ronj218
Mystified Moa

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:28 pm

Oh yeah I'm sure I looked at the properties etc. etc and the spam cop thing I'll try again it didn't work when I went to their site got the email name and put it in it didn't work but that again could be verizon.
ronj218
Mystified Moa

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:35 pm

Well tried the spam cop thing again but wouldn't take what they gave me. I put it in the proper box and it didn't like it.
Attachments
Picture0001.jpg
Picture0001.jpg (17.84 KiB) Viewed 9985 times
ronj218
Mystified Moa

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:39 pm

The only way I could complete it was not to check enable SpamCop reporting
Attachments
Picture0002.jpg
Picture0002.jpg (20.87 KiB) Viewed 9985 times
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:24 pm

That shouldn't be happening, are you sure there were no leading or trailing spaces on the address you entered?

I can't test the version you are using since I use Linux and my only Windows box is still on 5.3 but maybe someone else will have a suggestion.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
ronj218
Mystified Moa

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:38 pm

as you cansee in the background there are no spaces anywhere it just ticks me off with FIOS although the speed is great but this is a flaw.

Return to “General Tech. Help”