Moving Mailwasher Pro to Apple iMac (?)

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
oldfella
Rattled Rabbit

Moving Mailwasher Pro to Apple iMac (?)

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:04 pm

I am new here, but a long time Mailwasher Pro user. I am moving from PC (WinXP) to Mac (iMac) - what do I need to do, if anything, to take my Mailwasher Pro to the other side? Thanks, your advice is appreciated.

Pete (The Oldfella)
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Moving Mailwasher Pro to Apple iMac (?)

Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:26 pm

I remember you! Abandoning Windows are you, great idea!

I'm not sure what would have to be done but there are a few Mac users hanging around that should be able to suggest something.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
oldfella
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:48 am

Thanks, Stan - It's good to meet-up with an old friend again. Regards.

Pete (The Oldfella)
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:23 am

Hi Pete,

I go by QuietOne or QO and am on the Beta Crew with Stan.

We've never been (uhh) formally introduced ;) but Stan asked me if I would kinda help guide you thru what is necessary to install MWP on a Mac since I'm running a Macbook Pro myself.

For the time being you need to purchase either one of the Mac compatible Virtual Machine Software packages and install some version of Windows IN that VM software as MWP isn't yet Mac compatible itself. It is planned to be but not until after we get the current Beta version to Commercial Release status for Windows. We're trying hard to get there but there's no date certain as of now.

The two versions of VM software I'm aware of are:
  • VMWare's Fusion; and
  • Parallels Desktop by Parallels software - this is what I use and is currently in v5.x.
Cost in either case last I looked was about $70-80.00.

1) I've heard good/bad about both so I won't try to guide you about which is better.
2) Once you've got it (the VM software) installed and configured, then install whichever version of Windows you have/want (from Win XP or newer).
3) My advise on Windows is don't accept ALL the bells and whistles MS will try to offer. Only update those parts you really really need to unless you'll be doing a whole lot on the Windows side.
4) Once you have Windows installed and configured, then install a good Windows Firewall and A/V package (just because you're running Windows on a Mac doesn't mean you're safe from the gremlins :devil ).
5) Lastly, install your copy of MWP (I think the current version is v6.5.3) just as you would on a Windows Machine.

You won't be able to call your Mac email program from MWP (in Windows) but you CAN run it side by side in the VM if you want to and switch between them manually.
And that's about all I can suggest for now. I'll check back every so often so if you need any further help I'll see what I can do.

Good Luck! :thumbsup :mrgreen: and welcome to the better idea! ;)
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
rkrawczyk
Mystified Moa

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:46 am

Is there still no Mac version for MWP? My old laptop has MWP, and I now have the mobile version on my iPad and iPhone, but was hoping that by now there might be a real Mac version for my desktop (MacMini). I do have Parallels, but would really rather not have to put it on that side of the computer. I don't use a browser or a mail program on the Windows side. In fact I'm hoping to quarantine the Windows side from the Internet (running WinXP still….) so need a proper Mac program. For now I've been checking emails on my iPad first using MW and then downloading them on the MacMini. A workaround for now….

Thanks for any further input!

Ruth

Return to “General Tech. Help”