Email link (now sorted)

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
boborfrank
Travelling Tuatara

Email link (now sorted)

Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:01 pm

Good morning.

I use Gmail 90% of the time for all my email.
I would be pleased if someone could guide me step by step on how to make any EMAIL LINK I point to always default to my Gmail.

I use Google talk which makes SOME links default to Gmail but not all.

Thanks
Bob
Last edited by boborfrank on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Email link

Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:09 pm

As I understand it Google Talk should be doing this.

Are there specific programs that don't open mail links in GMail, or does it appear to be random ?
boborfrank
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:16 am

Thanks for your very fast reply Rustic

I would particularly like to get my scanner (canonscan 8800F) email button to link to gmail as a default
I cant add gmail to the llist as in the photo below

http://www.idf50.co.uk/gallery/showphot ... e=big&cat=

Bob
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:41 am

Ah I see, this is different in that it's not so much a mail link, but something coded into their software.

Presumably you have both MS Outlook and Outlook Express installed, correct ?

Now, as I don't use GMail, when you say you use it, does that mean you use it with your browser, so logon to GMail in Firefox or Internet Explorer ?
Or is there special GMail software now as well ?

What I think is happening, is that your Canon software is getting a list of installed email programs from your Registry, as GMail itself isn't an email program rather a service, it is not showing on the list.
I know we can poke the Registry so it thinks GMail is an email program, but I don't think we would be able to make it so it can attach the image/photo, but I see plenty of special software to make things work with GMail better so I might be wrong on that, it might just need the right tweaking.
boborfrank
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:52 am

Thanks again
I have tried to reply as best I can in CAPS (hope I dont offend by shouting) below
Bob

rusticdog wrote:Ah I see, this is different in that it's not so much a mail link, but something coded into their software.

Presumably you have both MS Outlook and Outlook Express installed, correct ?
YES

Now, as I don't use GMail, when you say you use it, does that mean you use it with your browser, so logon to GMail in Firefox or Internet Explorer ?

I LOG IN FIREFOX i TRY NOT TO USE IE IF I CAN HELP
Or is there special GMail software now as well ?
DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION

What I think is happening, is that your Canon software is getting a list of installed email programs from your Registry, as GMail itself isn't an email program rather a service,
DO NOT UNDERSTAND

it is not showing on the list.

I know we can poke the Registry so it thinks GMail is an email program, but I don't think we would be able to make it so it can attach the image/photo, but I see plenty of special software to make things work with GMail better so I might be wrong on that, it might just need the right tweaking.

OUT OF MY LEAGUE

Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:24 am

I also have no idea if there's any way to make this happen. :scratch I've certainly not heard of any special Gmail pgm beyond FF addons .... which don't touch the registry.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Ya know, I honestly didn't think this would be possible, but what do ya know :)

http://www.gattach.net/index.html looks like the program you want to install.

Bob, you are seeing two different behaviours here, that's why it sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. My previous explanation sucked, but they key point is that there are two ways here being used to send email, programs like Google Talk can make it work with one kind, but not the other.

The other kind (that is not currently working for you) is when your computer looks for installed email programs, like Outlook Express and sends the details to the email program software. Your Canon software shows Outlook and Outlook Express in the list, as it is showing the email programs it can find, whereas Firefox is not classed as an email program, so it is not being detected.

Basically gAttach makes the changes necessary on your computer so that it shows up as an email program, and it then has the necessary ability to communicate with GMail to send attachments. You can read the overview, it might make more sense :)

What I would expect is once you have installed the software, done any necessary setup, when you launch your Canon software you will hopefully see three email programs in the list (from that picture you had shown)

Microsoft Outlook
Outlook Express
Mapi2XML

Mapi2XML might have a proper name like gAttach, but on my computer gAttach identifies itself as Mapi2XML. Selecting this should then in theory send the email through to GMail and place it within your Drafts folder.

Hopefully this works for you, any problems let us know.
boborfrank
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 pm

That is wonderful I ask 2 questions in 2 days of joining this forum and both are solved within hours
TOP MARKS
Thanks very much indeed
Bob
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:29 pm

Excellent, glad to have helped :)

Return to “General Tech. Help”