phishing

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
SuzyBee
It begins with a single step

phishing

Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:58 am

How do I filter out emails that have my address as the sender but weren't sent by me to me? I normally just delete them but I want to know is there a way to add them to the blacklist? I've been told that this is called phishing. How do they log into my email and send email from it?
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: phishing

Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:01 am

Nope, both blacklist and friends lists are pretty simple tools.

Best to use neither for your own address, instead make a pair of filters that both look for your e-mail address, one to mark the mail as good which also checks for the other info on the from line and one that marks the mail bad if it does not have that info.

I think the wiki has more detailed instructions (link below)

Oops, missed the second question. It is not phishing exactly, it is mail header forgery attempting to use a "borrowed" e-mail address to slip by simplistic mail filters like the Friends List in most mail programs. They didn't send the message from your account, no need to since most ISPs don't check for forged headers or provide the information needed for others to detect them either. Wait until a spammer "borrows" your address to use on a 100,000 message spam run, your inbox will fill up with bounce and other bogus responses. The wiki has filters to detect that type of message too.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Return to “General Tech. Help”