Reporting myself?

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
DonnC
Rattled Rabbit

Reporting myself?

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:12 am

SPAMmers like to send messages with MY address(es) as both SENDER and RECIPIENT. Most messages are PHISHING.

So, I made filters to watch for that sort of thing. I named them "circular", told them to mark for deletion and to take priority over friends listings.

But, I notice that some managed to be processed as SPAM. Now: does this mean that one of my domain's addresses is in the database as a SPAMMER? What should I do to get out of that situation?

DonnC, Oxnard California, USA
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Reporting myself?

Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:25 pm

No spam service that I know of pays any attention to e-mail addresses, they are of very little value in identifying spam since somewhere over 90% of them are forged and have no relation to the person causing the spam to be sent, the computer sending the spam or the service being advertised.

You might end up tagging messages you have sent to yourself with your filter, keep an eye on it.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:26 pm

As an aside, SPAM is the brand name for a luncheon meat product. The drivel we put up with when attempting to read our email is not SPAM, it is spam. No need to highlight it with all-caps. ;)
DonnC
Rattled Rabbit

Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:34 pm

Duh. In checking out my new filters, I just noticed the check box for "Disable Reporting". Had I seen that earlier, I could have avoided my problem.

Note to Ikeb - Thanks for the lecture. Upper case with that word is an old habit. It's when I write "spam" or "Spam", that's when I'm talking about my favorite midnight snack.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:05 am

If you don't report the forged address spam then the spammer has succeeded in scaring you with the meaningless forgery of your address and will be able to keep spamming from that location unless others report him.

I have reported hundreds of spams with my own address on them and never had an issue. If you read the basic information on any spam reporting service they make it clear that there is no use or value in paying any attention to information in a spam that the sender can forge. If the anti-spam services paid any attention to forged addresses gmail, hotmail, msn and a lot of their peers would be unable to send any mail out.

SPAM is good but it is darned hard to get the good stuff, I only have a couple cans of Garlic SPAM left, saving for my first sandwich of the new year. How many other products can you buy today that have an endorsement hanging on the wall from Joe Stalin? My avatar here is SPAMMY the SPAM mascot, took the picture at the International SPAM Museum in Austin, MN.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Return to “General Tech. Help”