Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
Mike D
It begins with a single step
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:59 am


Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:06 am

Yesterday I began having all emails that I sent to friends with either hotmail or MSN addresses all returned to me, they were all accompanied by the attached message:-

The following message to <> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'SC-001 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins, please visit for email delivery information and support'

I have removed the name from the email account mentioned above, but it is the same error message for all emails addressed to friends with hotmail or MSN, strangely I did send two globals with a number of other email addresses, these have all been delivered, except of course the above mentioned.

Is this a Microsoft glitch, or is it Mail washer or is it my ISP, I am at a loss, I have just downloaded the latest patches for Outlook Express 6 from the Microsoft site, and still the same problem, any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks

User avatar
Omniscient Kiwi
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 8671
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:13 am


Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:39 am

That is a really unhelpful error message that was generated by the hotmail server. Most of it is simply a canned blurb not related to the actual error which was that they couldn't find an account on their server with the name you sent the message to. Could be their error if you typed the account name properly on your outgoing message.

Error: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error

Scroll down a bit here to the 5.1.0 section:
Numeric Code: 5.1.0

Possible Cause: This code indicates a general categorizer-based failure (bad address failure). An e-mail address or other attribute could not be found in the directory. This issue may occur if contact entries do not have the targetAddress attribute set. This issue occurs most frequently when MDAccess receives "object not found" errors from DSAccess when the Categorizer is doing the homeMDB lookup on a user.

This issue also occurs if you used Microsoft Outlook to save your e-mail message as a file and someone opens and replies to this message offline. The message property only preserves the legacyExchangeDN when Outlook delivers the message. Therefore, the homeMDB lookup may fail.

Troubleshooting: Verify the recipient address and resend the message. Verify that the recipient address is formatted correctly and that the categorizer was able to correctly resolve the recipient.
The real error is that someone is depending on Hotmail to get their incoming mail... :-(
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Return to “General Tech. Help”