SPAM Vista Windows Mail & Me ?

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
tim
It begins with a single step

SPAM Vista Windows Mail & Me ?

Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:18 am

Just recently my email account has stopped filtering most of the SPAM that I get, meaning that my inbox has thousands of messages. They are marked as SPAM but still get through. My security settings are high& I do not think that I have changed anything.
Anyone out there that may be able to help ?
Please be gentle...Assume No Computer Know How & you will not be far off the mark.
Thanks
Tim

*****************ADDED 16/01/09******************

Thankyou for the answers so far.

At the moment I am having trouble getting MailWasher up & running & was hoping to get Windows Mail to sort the SPAM.
Until a short while ago it was behaving perfectly but all of a sudden I am getting loads of SPAM.
Any suggestions as to how to fix it ?

While I am on...The problem I am having getting MailWasher up & running is because I can not remember the user name or password for the Windows Mail account. Where might I find that in Vista ?

See, I did say "assune no computer know-how."

Thanks

Tim
Last edited by tim on Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Compudoc
Student Sheep

Re: SPAM Vista Windows Mail & Me ?

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:23 am

If you are using Mailwasher Pro, any spam messages will come in with "SPAM" in red in one of the left most columns. The "Delete" column also has a box and it should be checked. If for some reason there is mail that you KNOW is spam but it comes through with the left most column showing "GOOD" in green, you can click on "GOOD" and it will change to "SPAM". The "delete" column will now also have a check mark in the box.
When you click "Process Mail" at the top, anything either marked "SPAM" and/or with a check mark in the "Delete" column will be deleted. At that point, you exit from Mailwasher and then start your mail program (Outlook Express, Thunderbird etc.) and the ONLY mail that will come in will be the ones left alone in Mailwasher. Hope that helps. Post back if you have further questions. :)
What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding - Elvis Costello
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: SPAM Vista Windows Mail & Me ?

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:33 am

Just furthering to compudoc

Assuming you are running MailWasher Pro, then it doesn't prevent Windows Mail from going off and fetching emails (which it probably is setup to do automatically) which then bypasses MailWasher. So in Windows Mail under Tools >> Options >> you would want to uncheck the option "Check for new messages every xx minutes" and also "Send and receive messages are startup".
That will mean, once you have finished in MailWasher, deleted the bad email etc....then you will need to tell Windows Mail to download the remaining Good email, by pressing the 'Send/Receive' button in Windows Mail.

Return to “General Tech. Help”