Microsoft compatibility XP SP3

General discussion about anything you like. Except Religion, US Politics and Midget discrimination.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Microsoft compatibility XP SP3

Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 am

So I was browsing the XP SP3 release notes, I'm not sure why, I don't run XP.

But in Application Compatibility http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309/ they have this gem :
Microsoft wrote:Programs that are not listed
When you run a program that displays a change in functionality after you install Windows XP SP3, and there is no information about this program in the table, use one of the following methods:
• Restart the computer one or more times.
One or more times ? Once I understand, but really....how many times should a machine need to be rebooted before the software starts behaving ? Is rebooting a machine 4 times really a solution.
Alien
Travelling Tuatara

Re: Microsoft compatibility XP SP3

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:10 am

Almost makes me glad that they haven't done [& no news on plans to do] an SP3 for XP64.
No crops were circled, or animals mutilated in the making of this sig.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:21 am

You only really need one reboot if you put in a Linux install CD before you do it. :-)
Alien
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:44 am

Sorry, but I'm just not enough of a masochist to use Linux.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:02 am

Why do you say that? I've got it running on all my daily use systems and the wife's laptop with no problems. The hardest thing to adjust to was switching from double clicking to single clicking.

I haven't had to fiddle anything to keep Linux running, no virus problem, no malware issues, no registry issues. Actually the reason I switched was to get something that ate less of my time and Linux has ended the continual cycle of Windows maintenance. With 10 systems in daily use Windows was eating far too much time and money.

I keep reading about Windows issues here with MW and it gives me the giggles that I don't have them.

- Corrupt registry problems, not me got plain text files that edit with no chance of system issues.
- Want to run MW on more than one computer, mount the single data directory on the other computer (mount /mnt/.firetrust) and it just runs.
- Backups of all the program data and settings, rsnapshot automatically makes one every four hours, does weekly and monthly rotations.
- Startup and shutdown issues, not having any MW just works.
- Networking issues, nope, MW just runs.

Sure if you pick one of the bleeding edge distributions you can have issues but ones like OpenSuse, Ubuntu or Centos just load and work with no hassles.

Try it for yourself with no changes to your computer, grab a live CD from here: http://www.opensuse.org
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:15 am

I'm a Xubuntu convert now. I never knew Firefox could open so fast :)

I was disappointed with Kubuntu, it seemed to be what folk were raving about, but after a couple of months I found it buggy, and the default programs to be pretty junky. At least by comparison to what I see now.

Thing is, and why I'd agree with Alien. I've had problems on Linux...all Ubuntu based, that I would have never ever been able to sort out, a quick visit to the office with the laptop though, and the uber Linux geeks type a few uber commands and it's done. As I learn more I am sure I will be able to sort more things out, but in one case the problems occurred immediately after install, however the Live CD ran flawlessly. I felt duped :)

I like the dual boot system, I choose my OS for my mood.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:31 pm

I don't mind using the command line for stuff where it is quicker but one of the biggest reasons to use OpenSuse is the YAST tool that offers menu driven access to almost everything you'd want to fiddle.

I gave KUbuntu a look and their KDE setup is not well done but again they are a small splinter off the main Ubuntu group. I had better luck installing Ubuntu and then loading KDE on top of that.

I pretty much gave up on dual boot as I was always at the wrong system when I needed to do something. Right now I keep a Windows box for testing MW, about all I've done with it recently, or something Windows specific that won't run elsewhere. I'm fiddling with a virtual machine setup on one box that will run windows as a client and let me pop it up on any other machine as a VNC or NX desktop at need.
Alien
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:34 pm

stan_qaz wrote:Why do you say that? I've got it running on all my daily use systems and the wife's laptop with no problems. The hardest thing to adjust to was switching from double clicking to single clicking.
As Rustic said, it tends to be all fine when I'm just playing around with a LiveCD, it's when I try to actually install it that I run into problems. Before you ask, my answer is "various", & I can't be bothered to describe them so you can try & tell me how to fix them so you can convert someone else to Linux. [sorry if you weren't going to, but you wouldn't be the first Linux user to have that sort of response/attitude to a Windows user]

As to the double click issue... there's only been an option to single click instead since... what, Windows 95? It's also a lot easier to find than plenty of options/solutions to problems in Linux.
stan_qaz wrote:I haven't had to fiddle anything to keep Linux running, no virus problem, no malware issues, no registry issues. Actually the reason I switched was to get something that ate less of my time and Linux has ended the continual cycle of Windows maintenance. With 10 systems in daily use Windows was eating far too much time and money.
In my experience it's not fiddling to keep Linux running, it's struggling to get Linux doing everything it's supposed to in the first place that's the problem.
stan_qaz wrote:I keep reading about Windows issues here with MW and it gives me the giggles that I don't have them.
If all or even most Windows users had them you might have a point.
stan_qaz wrote:- Corrupt registry problems, not me got plain text files that edit with no chance of system issues.
I agree that the registry shouldn't be used for anything more than drivers & stuff relating to the OS itself, & thankfully it seems an increasing number of programmers do too, though sadly it tends to be only those working on "small" products, as opposed to those produced by big companies.
stan_qaz wrote:- Backups of all the program data and settings, rsnapshot automatically makes one every four hours, does weekly and monthly rotations.
There is backup software for Windows as well you know, it's not something Linux has an exlusive claim to.
stan_qaz wrote:- Startup and shutdown issues, not having any MW just works.
- Networking issues, nope, MW just runs.
Same here with 6.1, I have issues with 6.2/6.3, but that's down to MW, not WIndows.
stan_qaz wrote:Sure if you pick one of the bleeding edge distributions you can have issues but ones like OpenSuse, Ubuntu or Centos just load and work with no hassles.

Try it for yourself with no changes to your computer, grab a live CD from here: http://www.opensuse.org
No thanks. I've tried Linux on several occasions over the years: Suse, Mandrake, Ubuntu, Kubuntu. The 1 thing they all had in common: they all had problems of some sort or another. With Windows, I just install it, tweak it the way I want it, install my progs, & that's it.

Linux is just 1 headache after another. If I didn't know better I'd think it had been invented by Adobe! :biggrin
rusticdog wrote:but in one case the problems occurred immediately after install, however the Live CD ran flawlessly. I felt duped :)
Exactly.
rusticdog wrote:I like the dual boot system, I choose my OS for my mood.
I did try the dual boot thing at 1 point, but I did it by putting it on a different drive & using the mobo's boot menu option [F8 I think] which comes at the same time as the option to go into the BIOS, & not having my Windows drive connected when I installed Linux. That way if things went pear-shaped with Linux I could just wipe the relevant drive/partitions, & didn't have to worry about any risk to my Windows install.
stan_qaz wrote:I don't mind using the command line for stuff where it is quicker but one of the biggest reasons to use OpenSuse is the YAST tool that offers menu driven access to almost everything you'd want to fiddle.
There's something similar in Ubuntu/Kubuntu, but I don't recall its name off the top of my head.
stan_qaz wrote:I pretty much gave up on dual boot as I was always at the wrong system when I needed to do something.
That's why I gave up on it too; Linux was just something to fiddle with, Windows is what I actually do everything with.

Return to “Chit Chat”