LCD, TV Sales Could Fall in 2009 For First Time

General discussion about anything you like. Except Religion, US Politics and Midget discrimination.
mjp28
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:17 pm

(from PCMagazine)
by Mark Hachman

For the first time, worldwide revenues in the LCD TV market are expected to decline, according to an analyst report released on Thursday.

Analyst firm DisplaySearch said that while LCD sales are expected to increase by 17 percent to 119.9 million units, revenue is expected to decline by 16 percent to $64 billion, while total TV revenues will fall by 18 percent to $88 billion. Overall TV unit sales are also predicted to fall 1 percent to 205.3 million units, which would be the first time overall TV sales, let alone LCD sales, have ever dropped.

Given the disparities between units and revenue, prices will undoubtedly fall – good news for consumers, DisplaySearch reported. "DisplaySearch expects that 2009 will be the most difficult year yet for the TV industry and supply chain," the firm said.

What does this mean for those interested in a new TV? Most likely that, although LCD TV manufacturers have purchased several key components at close to cost, the cheap prices could persist well in to 2009. And that means more affordable key technologies.

"TV brands, as well as panel manufacturers and material suppliers, will need to aggressively increase 1080p penetration (even for 32"/37" sizes), and accelerate penetration of 120-Hz and differentiated products such as Ultra Slim FPD TVs in order to maintain ASPs," DisplaySearch wrote.

DisplaySearch's estimates are grim: in 2008, LCD TV sales are expected to be 102.2 million units, a decrease of 3.3 million units from an earlier estimate. The 2009 forecast of 119.9 million units represents a decrease of 11.5 million units. And those numbers are worldwide totals; in Japan, North America and Western Europe, LCD TV growth will be even less, or just 2 percent, the firm reported.

Sales of plasma TVs may be the only bright spot; unit sales are expected to grow by 24 percent to 13.9 million units in 2008, increasing again to 14.6 million units in 2009 – although the 2009 forecast is a 5 percent drop from DisplaySearch's previous forecast. .
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: LCD, TV Sales Could Fall in 2009 For First Time

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:13 pm

That's all good news, I need another TV. Sadly the NZ dollar is falling so electronics will rise slightly, though it also sounds like retailers aren't doing so well this Xmas too, so hopefully some more bargains to be had.
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Same in Australia although the Government gave us pensioners a $3000 bonus for Xmas. :thumbsup Price rises of 30% will hit us about February according to the experts (drips under pressure). :shock:
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT

I am only a ßeta Tester and getting older as well.
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:49 am

So which to get; plasma or LCD? I get conflicting info and have delayed buying anythiung 'cause a decision isn't obvious. :?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:34 am

I'd be inclined to head towards a plasma on anything 42" or above, the 42" LCD I have does has trouble with proper contrasts and not showing a true black, and you can at times see pixelation on movement, though this LCD has a response rate of about 8ms and I believe now they are down around 4ms which is better.

In a perfect world you can see each side by side, showing whatever it is you tend to watch the most as it's much easier to see the real differences then.
mjp28
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:23 pm

Ikeb wrote:So which to get; plasma or LCD? I get conflicting info and have delayed buying anythiung 'cause a decision isn't obvious. :?
I posted this on another site for a friend just getting into the digital TV arena, hope it might help some:
--------------------
First, check out the "How to buy" guides, cnet.com has a good one! PCWorld also has info.

http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/?ta ... ftColumn.0

Another good site:

http://tv.about.com/

Check terms and buy a TV tabs!

Decide on digital -or- HDTV, if HDTV go 42"+, I'd get 1080p for the future but a smaller set like my <removed> 20" LG LCD 720p is just fine. (also 20", 22" fine for kid's room, extra bedroom, etc.)
The old dividing line is 37", less don''t spend big bucks, bigger is better for HDTV.

What do you want it to do? Just TV? Movies? Gaming? Computer? Get enough HDMI inputs IF you do gaming +.

Read, read, read before buying......instead of saying "shucks" I shoulda'.......

Just a few ideas. ;)
mjp
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:38 pm

We went LCD due to the high light levels in our viewing room, much of the day we wouldn't be able to see much on a plasma. Did a lot of comparison shopping and decided on paying a bit more for the 120 Hz screen and the 10 bit panel and electronics. Once we decided on what we wanted I kicked back and watched prices, found a sale on Amazon that had the TV we wanted for the same price as the older 60 Hz 8 bit model and jumped on it.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
mjp28
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:58 pm

One knock on LCD was the "black on black" and various dark shades. The higher the contrast ratio the better.

Plus money, basically plasma is more, might be better but a good LCD is good enough unless you're really into the best picture possible.

Reminds me a bit of the "audiophiles", wanted the best stereo (almost) regardless of cost.

I still think, like most things how are you going to use it and what are your expectations (and budget!).

Return to “Chit Chat”