Castlecops.com has been put down

General discussion about anything you like. Except Religion, US Politics and Midget discrimination.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Castlecops.com has been put down

Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:08 pm

Unfortunately, the only warning was for staff only, and only a few hours before the end. It went down at midnight US Pacific time as the nonprofit that they expected to take over never came through and was finally given a deadline. The wiki went down a few hours before that. Currently, you can't view old forum posts at the site either, and nothing was made available at archive.org after Sept 2007.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Castlecops.com has been put down

Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:08 pm

That's a shame, wish we'd grabbed the Wiki contents first.

CCops was a real labour of love, especially for Paul and Robin, but these decisions are never made lightly and with the pressures they were under with the move, house and job stuff they probably had little choice given no-one was able to take the helm. Still, now that they have switched off, maybe that will put more urgency into any desire into potential new owners.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:24 am

Some people grabbed some private copies of stuff. What is the copyright status of the wiki? Does it become public domain by being in a wiki?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:47 am

No idea, though I don't see any person complaining about tidbits of MW usage or filtering techniques being moved across to another WIki.

If I recall correctly it was Stan and Ike that really were the driving force behind the MW aspects of the CCops Wiki so we can wait for them to chime in on their thoughts, though it seemed very useful.
Gniblett
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:54 am

Though I was an infrequent poster there, Castlecops was a good reference for a wide range of problems and they will be missed. :(
Using: Windows 10 Home (64 bit) v 21H1
MailwasherPro 7.12.67
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:40 am

I am really saddened by this too. CastleCops was the venue that provided me a lot of opportunities, and opened a lot of doors - and it allowed me to share what I know and learn something new too. All my friends and colleagues were in one place, and now they have scattered to here and there.

I think Stan did most of the MW input, then Ike put the Wiki, including the Malware Removal & Prevention (wow, that's gone too!) together, and administered the Wiki as a whole. I hope he has a copy, and it is legal to repost it here - though in truth, a bunch of stickies can serve the same purpose for MW, even if write access is limited.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:24 am

That really ticks me off! No warning given to anyone that would allow them to save their stuff, how hard would it have been to freeze the forums so no new posts or PMs could be added and give folks a few days to transition. About what I'd come to expect from them though.

I have some of the wiki stuf I submitted, Ike probably did more input than I did and he certainly did more on sorting out the organization and formatting that I did! If a new wiki is started we should be able to recover a lot of stuff from the wayback machine. I'd be willing to work on putting something back together as time permits, this week I'm so busy I haven't even been able to get to the latest beta to pick it apart.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:00 am

stan_qaz wrote:That really ticks me off! No warning given to anyone that would allow them to save their stuff, how hard would it have been to freeze the forums so no new posts or PMs could be added and give folks a few days to transition.
Given that Robin made the shutdown a Christmas present to herself, I'm thinking she is so friggin' glad to be done with all this uncertainty about CC that she doesn't want to have to deal with any administrative duties of any type. The Nonprofit That Shall Not Be Named expressed more interest in CC than it turned out to have, and P&R made a lot of decisions over a long period of time expecting actions that never came. Due to the nondisclosure agreement, they felt they could not defend their decisions publicly. Emotionally, it had to be very hard on them.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Ah, Robin. The charming little reason I left the CC staff and stopped posting in any forum outside the Firetrust block. If it was her decision that explains a lot.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
LadyLonnie
Student Sheep

Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:44 pm

I am also saddened that CC is gone. Lots of good help/info given there...different Forums, etc.
But the only reason I joined there was because of MailWasherPro. As soon as I found out that this website was established, I ended my visits to CC. :biggrin
Lonnie
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:45 am

I personally never kept copies of the many articles submitted. It would have been a full-timer job keeping the copies current. According to http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=228740 there are portions of the wiki available via cache and/or private collections. FYI, I've asked via cc -at- laudanski.com for a dump of the CastleCops Wiki. Though the site is down, backups were taken.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:38 pm

Ikeb wrote:I personally never kept copies of the many articles submitted. It would have been a full-timer job keeping the copies current.
Google has 1,200 pages cached from the wiki alone.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:wik ... n&filter=0
Red_Barren
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:03 pm

AlphaCentauri wrote:
Ikeb wrote:I personally never kept copies of the many articles submitted. It would have been a full-timer job keeping the copies current.
Google has 1,200 pages cached from the wiki alone.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:wik ... n&filter=0
Does that mean I can put the wiki on eBay again, Ike? :devil

I found out they shut down when I couldn't get to the folding stats for Team CastleCops. I thought they were going to hand over the site to Rustic Dog (how's it going?) and a few of the higher-ups at the staff level. I can't imagine them just cutting it off and losing all that valuable information. I'm still in shock, as I'm sure a lot of people are.

Does anyone know what happened to PIRT? I taught a lot of people how to report their phish to them. If that starts bouncing, I'm going to have a lot to answer for. Good thing the college is closed until next year so there is time for this to play out.
Stan wrote:Ah, Robin. The charming little reason I left the CC staff and stopped posting in any forum outside the Firetrust block. If it was her decision that explains a lot.
Hi Stan. The terms of service here says I have to keep my mouth shut, but :wink:

Tim
*burp*.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:17 am

Welcome Tim, Good to see you here and I hope that things work out for you.

I'm sure Robin carefully considered your needs as well as the others that depended on Castlecops before saying "meh" and pulling the plug.
--
Red_Barren
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:01 am

stan_qaz wrote:Welcome Tim, Good to see you here and I hope that things work out for you.
Thanks, Stan. I'm sure things will work out, but I just didn't need something else added to my plate right now.
Stan wrote:I'm sure Robin carefully considered your needs as well as the others that depended on Castlecops before saying "meh" and pulling the plug.
I'm real sure of that too. :gag

Hey, I used to be a MWP beta tester. Who do I have to bribe to get the latest Beta? I have 6.3 Pro now.

Oh, you might want to change that link in your signature to one that actually works. Just a thought. :wink:

Return to “Chit Chat”