Another earthquake.

General discussion about anything you like. Except Religion, US Politics and Midget discrimination.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Another earthquake.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:53 am

Sidewinder wrote:I have my doubts that beer would have adequate content of numbing solution. Heavier concentration called for. Maybe 190 proof "grain" would help. Besides beer only gets rented for such a short time that it necessitates too frequent relief needs in an otherwise unsafe environment. :lol: :lol:
Have you forgotten that beer (outside the U.S. of A anyway) is rather more potent than the weak %^&* we have to drink. :bow :mrgreen: And Ever Clear (that 190 proof stuff you mentioned) is really bad for the kidneys. :facepalm :thumbsdown :gag
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:16 pm

....that would degrease your engine......I don't think my poor heart could even handle it
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:02 pm

Looks like the earthquake has spawned a new website http://www.showusyourlongdrop.co.nz
Anguilla
Travelling Tuatara

Re: Another earthquake. / "Thunder Box" ??

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:05 pm

rusticdog wrote:Looks like the earthquake has spawned a new website http://www.showusyourlongdrop.co.nz
I recall - in that excellent Kiwi film - "Goodbye Porkpie" that such constructions were *then* called "a Dunny" - has the name been changed ??
Last edited by Anguilla on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:17 pm

A dunny can refer to any loo....perhaps that changed in more recent years, so the 'long drop' is pretty much the given for the more natural approach :)

Sure as hell stinks of shit outside right now, hope that doesn't mean there's a big sewage leak nearby, we're really enjoying our flushing pleasures right now.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:07 pm

OK, just wow.....what's happening in Japan now is extreme. I have no words.
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:39 pm

This is horrible! And now they're having Tsunami's on top of all misery as well.
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/tsunami/

Edit: just had word from a friend who lives in Japan: even at 800Km from the Epicenter he noticed the earth tremble! These are devastating powers, beyond imagination.
Last edited by racker on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
johno
Knowledgeable Kea

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:10 pm

racker wrote:And now they're having Tsunami's on top of all misery as well.
And 10m high if current reports are accurate. How can anything survive in the path of that?
johno
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:14 pm

I feel for them. If you have seen on it TV it is frightening especially the tsunami bloody frightening. 10 meter wave with more to come. Death toll only 19 at the moment but this will go up and up. All we can do is pray for them. :( :(
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT

I am only a ßeta Tester and getting older as well.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:44 am

I was watching the news live (live feeds from Japan) as the first of the tsunami waves came ashore there in Japan. When they say "It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature.", they aren't kidding. It was both an awesome sight and a frightening one as well. :facepalm I feel for everybody over there. :help :thumbsup :?
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
snollofbone
highly esteamed croaking frog

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Its just so appalling beyond words...
possibly one of the worst...

Christchurch was bad enough but this is
just carnage,destruction and devastation
on a humungous scale..

graham
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:41 pm

This part is really ugly and not just for the local folks.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/ ... 4C20110312
Japanese officials may only have hours to cool reactors that have been disabled by Friday's massive earthquake and tsunami or face a nuclear meltdown.

Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) (9501.T) is racing to cool down the reactor core after a highly unusual "station blackout" -- the total loss of power necessary to keep water circulating through the plant to prevent overheating.

Daiichi Units 1, 2 and 3 reactors shut down automatically at 2:46 p.m. local time due to the earthquake. But about an hour later, the on-site diesel back-up generators also shut, leaving the reactors without alternating current (AC) power.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:14 pm

This is a very good article on the problem from a fellow with experience from the US Three Mile Island plant failure. The link looks strange but is explained in the story.

http://www.cringely.com/2011/03/flea-po ... s-in-japan
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:57 pm

stan_qaz wrote:This is a very good article on the problem
Wow.. that's really a good and simple explanation of what's happening now. Gives me the shivers.. And our new government keeps telling us that we should have more nucleair powerplants here in the Netherlands. :crazy :nono No chance of a quake here, but what about a flood?? A major part of our country is below sealevel anyway (I live 5 mtrs below) and the rest is barely above..

Lets stick to what we're good at: utilize windpower and develop better turbines for that, next to promoting solarpanels and other means of "green" power!
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:52 am

racker wrote:
stan_qaz wrote:This is a very good article on the problem
Wow.. that's really a good and simple explanation of what's happening now. Gives me the shivers.. And our new government keeps telling us that we should have more nucleair powerplants here in the Netherlands. :crazy :nono No chance of a quake here, but what about a flood?? A major part of our country is below sealevel anyway (I live 5 mtrs below) and the rest is barely above..

Lets stick to what we're good at: utilize windpower and develop better turbines for that, next to promoting solarpanels and other means of "green" power!
Just for grins and giggles ... and since you mentioned being "below sea level", whose turn is it to plug the dike????? :scratch :devil

Return to “Chit Chat”