Another earthquake.

General discussion about anything you like. Except Religion, US Politics and Midget discrimination.
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

Re: Another earthquake.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:12 pm

RD, I read this yesterday. $500 million between 5100 properties is less than $100K per property. Is that correct? BTW does your PM dye his hair? It looked real red on TV here. :rofl
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT

I am only a ßeta Tester and getting older as well.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:30 pm

The govt will be getting much of the money back from the insurance companies and EQC, this simply speeds up the processes and removes costs like real estate agent fees for people that were thinking about selling up. So as far as I can tell the $500m is to cover the shortfalls.

Under the EQC (Earthquake Commission) stuffed land is paid out for, however what many of us (probably) didn't realise.....

"The maximum amount EQC will pay for residential land is either the value of the land destroyed or damaged, or the value of 4,000 square metres (about an acre), or the value of the minimum sized building site allowed in the area in which you live – whichever is the lower."

If you suppose the minimum buildable section in Christchurch is 400m2, then you were probably in for a nasty surprise if the processes followed the normal route and you had a 1000m2 (1/4 acre) section. At least that's my take on it.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:07 pm

And here's our building where the Firetrust office was.....you might say 'which building ?'....which is exactly right...it's missing
281978_10150242846296592_531991591_7503121_1025012_n.jpg
281978_10150242846296592_531991591_7503121_1025012_n.jpg (89.34 KiB) Viewed 12556 times

Edit : it used to look like this.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (98.54 KiB) Viewed 12556 times
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:31 pm

And so what do your NEW digs look like??? Are they a "Step Up" or a "Step Down" in the new world of CC???? :scratch :scratch (and I'll leave the decision of whether to use your old digs, either pre- or post- quake to compare against, to you). :devil
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:48 pm

QuietOne wrote:And so what do your NEW digs look like??? Are they a "Step Up" or a "Step Down" in the new world of CC???? :scratch :scratch (and I'll leave the decision of whether to use your old digs, either pre- or post- quake to compare against, to you). :devil
A step down, but the previous office was best considered surplus to requirements.....we're now effectively sharing space with a car stereo/alarm installer who had the office rooms spare above their workshop.....originally I think it was intended to just be a temporary location to get up and running, but it's enough for what we need and darned cheap :mrgreen:

Events like this tend to bring out the thriftier options :thumbsup ....heck, in the interest of saving money here's what our spare bedroom became :)
http://buttercupnails.co.nz/about.php
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Am sure there's a better picture out there, here's where we moved to in the red outline....I think :) ...I work from home, but it looks right....
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (87 KiB) Viewed 12556 times
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:07 pm

I hope the nail thing works out for you folks, the neighbor lady has a mini beauty salon in her spare room and makes good money working a few hours in the evening and Saturdays. It helps that she has a pool out back and free (teenaged daughter) babysitting for the customers.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:16 am

stan_qaz wrote:I hope the nail thing works out for you folks, the neighbor lady has a mini beauty salon in her spare room and makes good money working a few hours in the evening and Saturdays. It helps that she has a pool out back and free (teenaged daughter) babysitting for the customers.
I'll 2nd what Stan said. :thumbsup But I also hope that the Stereo/Alarm gang has both decent taste in music and a heart when it comes to screwin' with the alarms. :roll: :crazy :devil That could get old in a hurry! ;)
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:58 am

Are those buildings deceptively well built to protect against earthquake damage, or is that a particularly safe place to build? I wonder how long the rent will stay cheap?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:43 pm

AlphaCentauri wrote:Are those buildings deceptively well built to protect against earthquake damage, or is that a particularly safe place to build? I wonder how long the rent will stay cheap?
It's definitely better land, and those are more recently built than many of the older buildings that suffered (excluding those two newer buildings that came down entirely, there's an inquiry into why that happened).....also being just two story am sure helps ....as far as I know they'd never planned on subletting the offices above but when the opportunity presented itself they were keen, though I don't know what kind of length the lease was taken.

stan_qaz wrote:I hope the nail thing works out for you folks, the neighbor lady has a mini beauty salon in her spare room and makes good money working a few hours in the evening and Saturdays. It helps that she has a pool out back and free (teenaged daughter) babysitting for the customers.
The salon is going well, there's been no money on advertising to speak of and although the website costs would usually be in that category, she did it herself so it had no real $ investment. It was originally intended that she just offer a mobile service, but we thought as the room was spare we may as well use it and not limit the client base.....bloody lucky we did that as so far almost all seem to prefer to come to her. Oh and I got blasted for posting that link, as in rusticbitchs words, that photo on her website makes her look like a retard :lol ....I had to show her an old school photo of me to try and make up for it....I don't think it was enough.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:44 pm

You might look around and see if you can find a photographer that would like to swap some pictures for pretty nails, otherwise tell her the picture looks great and hire her a photo shoot to get her ones she is happy with. Just make sure you get the copyright to them or permission to use on the web.

We got some great photos when we hired a fellow to take them so all of us could enjoy the get-together and not have to hassle each other for pictures. When we wanted to share them it turned out we didn't have the right to make prints or put them on the family website. Getting that permission was more than the original cost! The fellow's business is not around anymore, we spent a lot of effort making sure his business practices were well known.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:32 pm

She's actually a photographer as well, but when she needed the photo taken....I erm...took a nap, so she just had to use her timer and do herself. I'll redo it soon :)
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Snow Day today :thumbsup

It only snows here maybe once every 4-5 years I guess....so something of a novelty.
DSC_0168.jpg
DSC_0168.jpg (209.37 KiB) Viewed 12486 times
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:47 pm

RD, you are getting the dregs of what we had last week. Ours was rain 190 mm (7.5 inches) in 3 days. :devil
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT

I am only a ßeta Tester and getting older as well.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:12 pm

Pierre wrote:RD, you are getting the dregs of what we had last week. Ours was rain 190 mm (7.5 inches) in 3 days. :devil
That's wet :) It could have been the same, I was too busy keep warm in the blankets to take note.

On a sad note, Fat Boy aka Luka Kreuger was put to sleep tonight, at the ripe old age of 10 his back legs gave out suddenly so we made the decision to get the vet out, rather than have him suffer. Given too he weighs about 55kg (120 pounds) it's not an easy dog to assist in mobility. Here he is in his glory days (about 5 years)....

luka.jpg
luka.jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 12383 times

Return to “Chit Chat”