Another earthquake.

General discussion about anything you like. Except Religion, US Politics and Midget discrimination.
jimdot
Travelling Tuatara

Re: Another earthquake.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:37 am

Hope everyone is okay. My thought & concernes are with you
robmeyer
Guardian Gecko

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:08 am

Glad to read that you are all well. Very best wishes from Holland.
We follow you in the papers and TV.
davebt
Student Sheep

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:40 am

I feel that I can safely say from ALL the beta testers around the world that we are so very relieved to hear that all at FT and their families seem to be ok physically but it will take some getting over.
my best regards to you all.
Dave Beatty
U.K
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:41 am

rusticdog wrote: So in case you've not yet heard, we had a big ass earthquake. The thread details are here http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=30

We're all good and safe + families and will be up and running proper in a few days.

Good to hear from you, Chris - it's a big relief to all of us, here.
:thumbsup
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:52 am

rusticdog wrote:I think you'll find we'll be back a lot sooner. As it is our core systems aren't in Christchurch, so we haven't lost anything that makes the wheels turn, we've got enough machines and equipment to get guys on board, many of the staff already were setup to work from home as we often did so out of convenience.

So technically we're up and running now, just not mentally...that'll take a few days just to get into the right head space.
I don't doubt you'll be back pretty quick resource-wise but as you say ...

"just not mentally...that'll take a few days just to get into the right head space."

Yeah, I can well imagine it takes a fair while to get things rattled-n-banged :banghead back into their old nooks and crannies :willynilly :bash ... so youse can finds 'em again! :roll: :facepalm :devil Not to mention needing a :beer to calm things down a little. :thumbsup :thumbsup :devil Best wishes and keep us posted ... but I know you'll do that anyway. :thumbsup :devil
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:56 am

I'm sure it's hard to try and get to a new normal with all of the aftershocks that keep the shake, rattle and roll going on.
It's hard to imagine all the aftershocks. I've been monitoring here and the list just goes on and on.
http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/qua ... uakes.html

RE: The Gougers - keep a list of those who are preying on all the misery and as thing get back to a new normal mount a campaign to boycott them all and put them out of business for good. Real scum bags.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:59 am

Sidewinder wrote:I'm sure it's hard to try and get to a new normal with all of the aftershocks that keep the shake, rattle and roll going on.
It's hard to imagine all the aftershocks. I've been monitoring here and the list just goes on and on.
http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/qua ... uakes.html

RE: The Gougers - keep a list of those who are preying on all the misery and as thing get back to a new normal mount a campaign to boycott them all and put them out of business for good. Real scum bags.
I'll 2nd that idea! :thumbsup :devil
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
Gniblett
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:32 am

Sidewinder wrote:Another of our beta testers just received an email from Nick and all from FT are OK but obviously shaken up. Building heavily damaged.
That IS good news. So relieved to hear all OK.
Using: Windows 10 Home (64 bit) v 21H1
MailwasherPro 7.12.67
mikepd
It begins with a single step

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:34 am

I just want to send my thoughts and prayers to all who were affected by this terrible tragedy. To everyone in New Zealand, my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

While I have never been in an earthquake, I worked in the medical field for over twenty years as an x-ray tech and saw many disasters. It is always an unsettling time even if one is not directly involved in the event. I know the country will recover and its people will move forward stronger as New Zealand's people are a tough, brave lot.

All the best,

Mike
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks again to everyone for their support :thumbsup

Sidewinder (and others) this is also a great website for information, it's being fed by GeoNet data. http://quake.crowe.co.nz/QuakeMap/Single/

This website was setup after the September quake, it basically is a Google Maps/Time Lapse showing the quakes, where they were centred and severity etc...you can choose which day to view, hit play and see it run through. The big quake on the 22nd you can see pretty much comes from nowhere then it's all on.
http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:00 pm

rusticdog wrote: Sidewinder (and others) this is also a great website for information, it's being fed by GeoNet data. http://quake.crowe.co.nz/QuakeMap/Single/

This website was setup after the September quake, it basically is a Google Maps/Time Lapse showing the quakes, where they were centred and severity etc...you can choose which day to view, hit play and see it run through. The big quake on the 22nd you can see pretty much comes from nowhere then it's all on.
http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/
Curiosity is killing me after looking at these web sites. Does the ground ever stop shaking there? It look like it's nearly perpetual with only the magnitude changing.
Does it feel strange when you guys venture out away from there to anyplace where the ground isn't doing the rock and roll?
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:39 pm

After the 6.3 quake, it felt like there was an aftershock of relative significance every 10 minutes for the next day and a half, though I'm sure it wasn't that bad. They are generally very brief, only a few seconds, unlike the major quakes which are more 30 seconds onwards...outside it's more pleasant, you don't feel the quakes on the same level (at least for us at home), there's even times when I've been outside and not felt an aftershock at all, but I get inside to find the dog spooked. Had the weather been good today we'd be sitting out in the back yard. There was a nasty aftershock, I think it was about 5.7, that was the one where the dog crapped himself....poor guy looked so embarrassed too :)

We live on a main arterial route, and it seems now though the house is shaking a little more when large trucks go past, which we never had previously. Even as I'm typing right now there was a small aftershock....the TV creaks on it's stand, the dogs ears went up and there's a slight wobble...then it's all over.

I've also been feeling nauseous often when standing, just the same feeling as you get from motion sickness, though that too has been better the last day. So for the most part there is no real constant shaking, just intermittent wobbles and the occasional larger jolts when the aftershocks are bigger.

Anxiety however I think is what takes a big toll. We didn't hardly eat for the first 36 hours, I had two Eskimo Pies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo_Pie) and we had the outdoor gas BBQ heating coffee, of which we had *many*. I went for a walk last night around 9pm just to get some air, but felt nervousness whenever walking beside a wall, or under building awnings that come over the footpath. But this is all inconsequential of course, as I said above somewhere, we're doing very well where we are, so there will be many more people feeling much worse than we are.

I heard reports that all accommodation within 250km (150 miles) is now booked out, this is from people leaving voluntarily. The airport which is operational has also been flying people further, so we are seeing something of an exodus. I could only speculate, but I'd say 10% of the city has left.

We have been told to stay home unless essential, sadly too many people are ignoring this. They're panic shopping in stores, they're filling up in petrol despite having no requirement to do so, all this is causing too much traffic, holding up emergency and civil services, cleanup crews etc... It's understandable given the panic some people are feeling, but a shame none the less.

You would think too given the September quake I've have had an emergency kit all ready to go, all I can say is :facepalm
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:23 pm

rusticdog wrote:You would think too given the September quake I've have had an emergency kit all ready to go, all I can say is :facepalm
Thanks for the extended narrative of your situation RD. It really helps us understand what the true situation is down there right now.

WRT your "not having an emergency kit all bagged up": What's keeping you????? I've got one and I live:

1) 200 miles inland from the Gulf (of Mexico) Coast (but still damn near got nailed when Hurricane Rita came ashore Sept. 23, 2005 as a Cat 3 hurricane; and
2) Right in the middle of the south end of Tornado Alley.

Between the Hurricanes and the Tornados, you never know which one is gonna "call your number". :dunno So I just keep a stock of supplies handy (water, food, TP, batteries, etc.) and make sure I can grab my ankles and stick my head between my legs (for purposes that shall remain unmentioned) :roll: whenever the weather gets nasty! :devil
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:42 pm

We did have a lot of leftover emergency style items from the last quake. So torches, candles, batteries, water bottles etc...were all handy, just not in a 'pack'. This will be addressed in the coming weeks though :thumbsup

We are allowed now to flush the loo (sparingly of course), and if required very brief showers are OK.

I'm not sure if I should post this or not, it's another narrative from the radio station that became our emergency broadcaster, it's an email from an ambulance officer being read out detailing his initial experience. Some of it is a little hard to listen to, so if you think you don't want to hear this kind of thing, I'd urge you not too. However it also gives a reflection on the mentality of emergency service staff, which right now you can only feel completely humbled by

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/podcasts/audio/24173235.mp3
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Well, maybe you ARE unsure whether or not you should post it, but I for one am very glad you did. :thumbsup

And yes RD, you were right it wasn't easy to listen to but it was:
  • First, inspiring in the fact that it was an honest portrayal of the life of an EMS Tech in the immediate aftermath of a major disaster; and
  • Second both humbling and sobering in it's portrayal of reality.
So like I said before, Thanks for posting it. It made an exceptional "listen". :thumbsup :thumbsup

And my hats' off to every single one of 'em! :bow :bow Their job is NOT an easy one.

Return to “Chit Chat”