Another earthquake.

General discussion about anything you like. Except Religion, US Politics and Midget discrimination.
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Re: Another earthquake.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:53 pm

rusticdog wrote:I'm not sure if I should post this or not, it's another narrative from the radio station that became our emergency broadcaster, it's an email from an ambulance officer being read out detailing his initial experience.
Could hardly listen to this "with dry eyes" as we say here.. These guys, fighting for other peoples life do have to go through emotional hell on top of everything else. As you say: makes one feel humble..
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:58 am

Thanks RD for sharing your insight into what has to be a really really tough situation to say the least. We all think of you and yours.
I experienced a minor quake and a couple of aftershocks in San Franciso many years ago but still remember them vividly. We were in a pizza place when one of the aftershocks occurred and a lot of the customers jumped and ran for the doors. The wise old shop owner told us that it might not be such a good idea to be out in the street where all the tall office buildings are because the big office windows tend to pop out and fall on you. We sat back down and waited it out. Fortunately the whole series were way down on the scale an there wasn't a lot of damage. It was an experience one can never forget.

The frequency, quantity and magnitude of the aftershocks just warps my head.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. Hopefully things will quiet back down soon and the nerves with it. Best of everything from back here and if there is anything that you and yours or other team members need be sure to let us know.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:22 am

Here is a truly riveting graphic from one of the sites that RD posted that shows the Christchurch area and what they are experiencing.

http://images.geonet.org.nz/maps/quakes ... -quake.jpg
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi all, thank you so much for expressing your concerns and best wishes to everyone at Firetrust and people in Christchurch. We really appreciate your support.

Fortunately all the Firetrust staff and families are safe and well. Most of us were without power and water for a few days but it's started to come back now. They locked it down really tight the next day. But we have a new temporary office which is all ready to go for Monday above a car and audio security shop http://www.protectauto.co.nz/contact_us.php so we should be back to normal next week. Well, as Chris mentioned, understandibly some of us might be distracted as we try to get things at home all back to normal.

Our office was only the 3rd floor up in our building and what a shake it was, and it all happened so fast. On one side of the office a building next to us collapsed and on another side, another building slumped in the middle and went on a lean. Lucky our building stayed up, but there's lots of cracks all over it, so I don't think it's going to be around for long. I can't see too many people wanting to work in high rises after that one. Everyone was pretty stunned outside, then everyone jumped on their phones to contact loved ones and jammed up the networks. Then there was car gridlock as everyone rushed home. I saw the collapsed CTV building on the way home as its on the opposite side of a small park from us and just knew there had to be many casualties. I was thankful my family and home was all ok.

The central city is completely wrecked and they're talking about buldozing 1/4 of it, so many businesses will fail and people will lose their jobs. I can't see anyone being able to enter it for months until they remove all bodies and unstable buildings. I went out on a work party yesterday to shovel silt and sand from people's properties, some of it is a foot high in the streets. They could start a new beach somewhere, there's so much of it. Someone mentioned 150,00 m3

Anyway, thanks again for all your kind comments and support. We'll endeavour to get back on track as quickly as we can.

Cheers
Nick
Last edited by nick.bolton on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyndham
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:33 am

Thank you so much for the update. This feels so much more real because we feel we know you guys.

Very best wishes to all, and thanks for taking the trouble to update us in the midst of everything that is happening. It really is appreciated - and probably part of the reason why MW is such a great product! :)
iPad 12.9 2020 and iPhone X, using Latest iOS
I no longer use Mailwasher on my desktop PC as I 'wash' the emails on my mobile devices
Al Darby
Guardian Gecko

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:57 am

Kia Ora Nick and Chris,

It's at times like this that the "Ditch" seems too wide.

Can't be there to help you, but please know your Aussie Mates are barracking for you.

A good time to be with loved ones. Take Gentle Care.
Al
I come from a LAN downunder

3.6GHz Core i7 | 24GB RAM | 6TB HDD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD)
Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 | VMWare for WinXP
(WinXP Mode Sux)
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:29 am

But we have a new temporary office which is all ready to go for Monday above a car and audio security shop http://www.protectauto.co.nz/contact_us.php so we should be back to normal next week. Well, as Chris mentioned, understandibly some of us might be distracted as we try to get things at home all back to normal.

I'll just keep working from home Nick, since one of the aftershocks my car won't start. Even then I don't think it'd survive some of those pot-holes :|
I'll grab Merediths car for Wednesday though and come in then.

I also have 888 emails in my Inbox :no
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:40 am

888 emails! Sounds like a new record. See you Wednesday if you can make it. I'll bring some spare gas and water if you need it.
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:22 am

Looking at the site of the car audioshop Nick mentioned, I came across this photo: http://www.protectauto.co.nz/gallery/6/87.jpg Makes me wonder: Are you sure that quake was caused by natural causes??? :devil
MWP FAQ
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:05 am

racker wrote:Looking at the site of the car audioshop Nick mentioned, I came across this photo: http://www.protectauto.co.nz/gallery/6/87.jpg Makes me wonder: Are you sure that quake was caused by natural causes??? :devil
And is there any doubt as to why there are so many more accidents amongst the younger generation these days?? They're so busy getting bounced around by the vibes they can't keep their "transport systems" in the proper lanes. :facepalm :devil And what makes it even worse is that their vibes bounce the rest of us around as well in the process. :nono :thumbsdown
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:45 am

QuietOne wrote:And what makes it even worse is that their vibes bounce the rest of us around as well in the process. :nono :thumbsdown
Maybe they think they're being social: sharing their good music with the rest of the world??! ;)
Reminds me of a true story that proves more or less that this behaviour can be seen with Godfearing law abeiding citizens also.. As it doesn't seem fit to tell it here, I've posted the story in a new thread: http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9629
MWP FAQ
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:55 am

Looks like its the same the world over, young guys with fast noisy cars :)

Just heard our old building is coming down. It's sinking in one corner and windows are exploding
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:50 pm

nick.bolton wrote:888 emails! Sounds like a new record. See you Wednesday if you can make it. I'll bring some spare gas and water if you need it.
I'm good, but Nick G may want that.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:54 pm

nick.bolton wrote:Just heard our old building is coming down. It's sinking in one corner and windows are exploding
I was thinking it took some guts to have gone back in to retrieve your computers!

Speaking of sinking, is that what happened to the CTV building? The visible rubble in pictures doesn't seem to account for enough matter to have been a building that large.

I would be completely freaking if I couldn't be indoors for fear of collapse and couldn't be outdoors for fear the ground under me would suddenly turn to quicksand.

(BTW, my daughter is studying WWI, and one of the events she learned about was when someone had the bright idea of shelling a field before their troops advanced, to explode any mines. Instead it liquefied the soil, so the advancing troops were trapped and killed. A mistake anyone could have made, and in fact, they made it several more times despite this disastrous experience the first time. Stupidity+death on a massive scale -- it sort of epitomizes that whole war.)
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:58 pm

I was thinking it took some guts to have gone back in to retrieve your computers!
Guts wasn't the word I was thinking of ;)

I haven't seen or heard anything about any significant sinking around CTV, but given the nature of the aftermath, the structural engineers will surely have something to say.

Return to “Chit Chat”