Another earthquake.

General discussion about anything you like. Except Religion, US Politics and Midget discrimination.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Another earthquake.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Odd question to place here....so I've deleted user.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Might have been an odd question but I sure thought Stan's answer was top-knotch! :rofl :thumbsup :devil
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:57 pm

You old farts have probably never faced a homework assignment you blew off until the last minute and then had the brilliant idea of Googling up an answer. Failed in that and tried to Google up a forum where someone, anyone would do your work for you.

Having just come from http://artoftrolling.memebase.com/ I had to give it a shot. Oh and don't forget to upgrade your FaceBook account to Gold: http://artoftrolling.memebase.com/2011/ ... t-upgrade/
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:37 pm

The list is getting far too long to be specific so I'll just say it this way:

I don't do "social networking" so I don't need to upgrade. :thumbsdown ;) :devil
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:01 pm

You missed the point, there is no upgrade, no Gold, just a bunch of folks posting that there is. Then they post posts that say "You can't see this post unless you have Facebook Gold status" and images that look to be a place-holder saying "only visible to Facebook Gold members" creating a bunch of less than bright folks desperately searching for the means to upgrade to the non-existent Gold status.

Just because I don't do Facebook myself doesn't mean I can't be amused by the users there. Far better to read FailBook and let others pick out the good stuff for me.

http://failbook.failblog.org/2011/09/28 ... vacy-fail/
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Ahhh, OK. :thumbsup Well that explains why I missed the point then. :facepalm Oh well. Glad I didn't miss anything important. ;) :devil
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:19 pm

stan_qaz wrote:You missed the point, there is no upgrade, no Gold, just a bunch of folks posting that there is. Then they post posts that say "You can't see this post unless you have Facebook Gold status" and images that look to be a place-holder saying "only visible to Facebook Gold members" creating a bunch of less than bright folks desperately searching for the means to upgrade to the non-existent Gold status. (...)
:lol: I guess this post certainly will have had a number of them searching :
Not nyanyannya wrote:It seems I’m not the only one with Facebook Gold account. It’s great, you can see photos of people not befriended!
:devil
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
Al Darby
Guardian Gecko

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:50 pm

That's a bit like the classic scene in "Our Man Flint", starring James Coburn

[after Flint guns down Z.O.W.I.E. guards and Cramden wants to have him arrested]
Derek Flint: I noticed that these men were wearing Battle of the Bulge ribbons.
Mr. Cramden: There is no ribbon for the Battle of the Bulge.
Derek Flint: Exactly.
Al
I come from a LAN downunder

3.6GHz Core i7 | 24GB RAM | 6TB HDD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD)
Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 | VMWare for WinXP
(WinXP Mode Sux)
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:35 am

.....semi interesting pic of one of the city streets.....

Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:31 pm

That's incredible! A truly unfortunate form of urban renewal without the renewal part. From some of the articles that I have read there seems to be a reluctance to rebuild given the seismic activity level in the region.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Sidewinder wrote:That's incredible! A truly unfortunate form of urban renewal without the renewal part. From some of the articles that I have read there seems to be a reluctance to rebuild given the seismic activity level in the region.
Supposedly we've had 16 aftershocks in the last week...I've not felt a single one, either that or just too used to them now :|

There's not a lot insurance floating around....pretty sure the region is going to get hammered come February, that's when all the standard insurance policies end for protection paying personal/business mortgages. It's a money game really...if you can survive the delays caused by the massive amount of claims you'll be OK.

They say city centre rebuilding really won't start aggressively until the second half of next year, plenty of homes being fixed now though...land has being freed up for development etc...
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:13 pm

rusticdog wrote:They say city centre rebuilding really won't start aggressively until the second half of next year, plenty of homes being fixed now though...land has being freed up for development etc...
First, I realize you all are a little more laid back down there than most other folks but ...

And while I grant you people need to get a roof back over their heads, seems to me they'd concentrate on getting the business district back up and running before they spent all their time fixing their houses up from top to bottom. At least with the business district back in working order, they'd have a way to make a living.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:15 pm

QuietOne wrote:
rusticdog wrote:They say city centre rebuilding really won't start aggressively until the second half of next year, plenty of homes being fixed now though...land has being freed up for development etc...
First, I realize you all are a little more laid back down there than most other folks but ...

And while I grant you people need to get a roof back over their heads, seems to me they'd concentrate on getting the business district back up and running before they spent all their time fixing their houses up from top to bottom. At least with the business district back in working order, they'd have a way to make a living.

Oh they're definitely doing both, plenty of businesses are opening up, moving out into the suburbs etc...huge expanses of industrial sites are largely unaffected....but we've still got some large buildings to come down in the main central business district...the 26 story Grand Chancellor is the most obvious and that's almost smack bang in the middle, that's been on a lean since the quake. The areas within the CBD that were considered no-go have been steadily shrinking as well, so it's getting better.

The CBD is a different beast though, mass areas of land have to be reclaimed to be nothing/park area, roads need to be replanned...they want to build a light rail system etc..all that is being discussed now....for some aspects it's a complete rebuild of the infrastructure, so it was always going to be off limits for a couple of years.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:02 pm

OK, now I understand better what's happening, when and why. :thumbsup :think :devil
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:15 pm

rusticdog wrote:.....semi interesting pic of one of the city streets.....
Wow.. that's almost increadible! Such transformation. Just hope there'll be a prominent place for small shops too, after restructuring; afterall they're the ones that make the difference in atmosphere in citycenters. If it'd mostly be major chainstores you'd end up with one of those cheerless, interchangable shoppingmalls you find in too many places already... :dead
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...

Return to “Chit Chat”