What happened to MsgTag?

General discussion about anything you like. Except Religion, US Politics and Midget discrimination.
Kirbentech
Rattled Rabbit

What happened to MsgTag?

Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:47 pm

I've seen Mailwasher and MsgTag in the same advertisements, so I'm hoping someone (Nick?) knows why the MsgTag servers seem to have disappeared.

Anyone know?

Thanks! Kirby in Colorado
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: What happened to MsgTag?

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:14 pm

I have no idea personally, but will see what I can find out as The Big Cheese keeps in touch with the owners.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:04 pm

OK, The Big Cheese doesn't keep in touch with the owners as often as I thought. We've asked but don't expect a reply (as previous emails went unanswered).

Any information I get I'll post though.
Kirbentech
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:24 am

Rusticdog - thank you for checking.

I've noticed other messages starting to pop up elsewhere on the net. I also sent a Facebook message to Daniel Sim Lind.

Thanks! Kirby
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:10 am

Kirbentech wrote:Rusticdog - thank you for checking.

I've noticed other messages starting to pop up elsewhere on the net. I also sent a Facebook message to Daniel Sim Lind.

Thanks! Kirby
More than likely it will be a server issue, last time this happened it was a hardware issue on one of the servers.
wb457
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:29 am

I'd like to know as well. I use MSGTAG Status and haven't been able to connect to servers or the domain for most of the week. I think it's fair to assume this isn't related to the earthquake in Christchurch since that was in Feb. For the past few years though when there were several server issues the exact same email replies were received. Kind of made me a little weary from a tech support standpoint :roll:
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:57 pm

We heard back from the folk at MSGTAG , the site should be up soon as well as a new version. Not 100% on the delays, I wasn't given any more information beyond that, I could only speculate that the Easter break in NZ this weekend has something to do with it.
wb457
Rattled Rabbit

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:04 am

Thanks for the update info rusticdog
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:54 pm

wb457 wrote:Thanks for the update info rusticdog

No worries, just hope it comes back up soon, these kinds of things can be very frustrating.
Kirbentech
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:44 am

Rusticdog - Good news. Thank you for your follow-up post!
Kirbentech
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:14 am

And.... MsgTag is working again!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Sweet :thumbsup
craisin
Mystified Moa

Mon May 13, 2019 1:04 pm

Well, on 4th April, 2019 the servers crashed (a common occurrence) and I have had no response from the servers since that date (it is now 13th May 2019, 39 days later).
I cannot contact anyone about it since the server is not able to accept messages, and I am not even sure that Fisher and Young (the owners of the program when I purchased it) are even still around.
It looks like the great days of using MsgTag are over! (Unless someone can shed some light on the matter).
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon May 13, 2019 1:09 pm

Yeah they've taken MsgTag offline as it was no longer financially viable to keep the servers up.

A touch disappointing there was no announcement.
rydan1400
It begins with a single step

Fri May 24, 2019 10:05 am

rusticdog wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:09 pm
Yeah they've taken MsgTag offline as it was no longer financially viable to keep the servers up.

A touch disappointing there was no announcement.
That is very disappointing to hear; over the last 10 years the server has gone off and back on many times and each time I fear it will be the last time....so it looks like it is? Do you have any information on the current owners of the program; I would be interested to speak with them to possibly buy it from them. If they have stated it is "no longer financially viable to keep the servers up", I find that incredibly odd of them to say. I have found it strange that the website to BUY the software was kept up allowing people to buy it, but they had zero support and zero marketing or advertising. Over the last 10+ years I have emailed support several times and never once got a reply; the phone numbers listed anywhere for this company were also out of service. Basically, the company did not exist for the last 10 years so it is not much wonder they find it not financially viable...they have done nothing with it. I would also argue that keeping the server going doesn't cost a lot of money and for the 10's of thousands of users (like me) who DID PAY their money to someone at some point, they should at the very least keep the server going!! If they do not wish to do so, well that is where I would like to talk about several possible scenarios that would fix this problem.

I have tried to search for "Fisher and Young", but nothing comes back for that with an association to MSGTAG except your post!. At one time I had the original owners name and email address; I believe he went to work for another company (possibly this Fisher and Young) and essentially "dropped" the program. They were in New Zealand if my memory is correct, but that is a while ago as well. ANY HELP you can provide would be much appreciated! There really is no other program that works like MSGTAG; I have looked for one every time the sever went down, but none work like this does. There IS a market for MSGTAG, it is very surprising (and more than a "touch disappointing" lol), that any company would have this asset and a clear market and just do nothing with it! Weird!

So...can you help with me with this? Or at least point me in the some direction to these owners?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Taylor
(FYI.....I also bought MailWasher around the same time as MSGTAG, which is how I ended up seeing your post here)

Return to “Chit Chat”