firetrust is expired AND mailer-daemon spam

Troubleshooting and help for FirstAlert spam database
donnabali
Rattled Rabbit

firetrust is expired AND mailer-daemon spam

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:52 pm

I have been a user of mailwasher for several years, it's been great. However, two problems.

One, my firetrust subscription expired, i don't feel i need it but felt ok, I could subscribe again. However, it wont' accept my credit card for some reason. So, I don't want to subscribe to it..HOWever, the notice that it has expired keeps popping up in the window and I have to click on the buttons several times to get this notice from appearing on the screen. The bad part is, it says I can unclick the firetrust button but even though I've done it at least a hundred times over a period of about 1 year, the firetrust puts itself on by itself and I have to click several buttons again. How can I unsubscribe without being pestered so much? It's incredibly annoying.

Secondly, I'm having a problem with a mailer-daemon worm (I think) that is sending me many hundreds of spam emails a day. Mailwasher downloads about 20 or 10 at a time, I keep having to delete all of them. I spent over 8 hours today just deleting mailer-daemons from my computer, I finally gave up, but there are probably thousands more coming in right now. So you can see how clicking the firetrust buttons is doubly annoying.

Can I do anything for either of these problems? thanks.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: firetrust is expired AND mailer-daemon spam

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:29 am

It's the FirstAlert subscription that's expired. If you go to Settings >> FirstAlert >> remove the check mark from "Use the FirstAlert database of spam" >> click OK >> then exit MailWasher through File >> Exit >> open MailWasher again and check that FirstAlert is properly disabled.
There isn't any mechanism that enables FirstAlert again, so hopefully this stops the reminders.

For the second problem, if you crafted a custom filter specifically for these messages and marked them for delete, once you are happy the filter only catches these messages you can set the filter to automatically delete the email, that way, MailWasher will delete them when it checks for messages so you will never see them.

Thanks
donnabali
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:23 pm

Yes, thanks I realize that. Unfortunately, when I open the spam tools window, and check the boxes I want, the spam tools window refuses to close except if I click the X button on the far right to close the window. It won't let me go back to the file menu and in fact I get that annoying clunking sound when I try to press any other button. The little spam tools window is a big monster on my screen. HELP I'm at my wits end.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:53 pm

ah, that explains it then

check out this post where there was a patch for this problem
http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1531#p1553
donnabali
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:39 pm

thanks for the link, however, is there a link to a non-zipped file? I have can't seem to unzip it, even though I successfully unzipped a different file yesterday. thanks for much for your help.

And...do you know if there is a way to get rid of this worm?
aloha, D
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:20 pm

Attached again as a .txt file, you'd need to rename it to a .reg file first. The forums don't allow .reg files to be uploaded.

As for the worm, I don't think it's an infection on your machine, it sounds like your email address is being spoofed by spammers and you are getting the bounce backs ?
donnabali
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:46 pm

HI, Rustic Dog,

thanks for all your help...but I can't see the new attachment. Can you post it again? thanks!

D

and thanks for the worm info.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:52 pm

my bad, TXT files were being blocked from uploading.....attached now
Attachments
settings_window.txt
(264 Bytes) Downloaded 1374 times

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help”