No Qmail support?

Well, it's up and running, but I'm not sure if it's doing what it should.
mikelawford
Travelling Tuatara

Re: No Qmail support?

Mon May 18, 2009 9:45 pm

Any news on this??

Oh Nick - we are still using the old MW obviously and will be renewing it this week after you gave us a small extension. That said though I have had numerous complaints that MWS is not as effective as it used to be - some email users even saying that about 100 spams are getting through a day??

How can we resolve this?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue May 19, 2009 9:51 am

Hi Mike

We're just getting on to this now as we had some frustrations with Windows versions. But it is being worked on and we should have something in a few days time. It will work as a proxy like http://firetrust.com/en/support/mailwas ... dows_proxy
so it works with all mail servers. The only caveat is that it's not as scalable, being that you can only have one proxy to one mail server.
I've extended your account for another month. You'll find using grey listing will block the pretty much all of the remaining spam.

Regards
Nick
mikelawford
Travelling Tuatara

Tue May 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks Nick.

What is grey listing and how do we do this quickly and efficiently. And why did MW used to be so much more effective?

Thanks,
Mike
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue May 19, 2009 10:09 pm

You'll be able to turn on grey listing with a switch inside the admin control panel. What it does is send a temporary failure to incoming email, so email from a legitimate source/MTA will be re-sent and is let through the next time. Spam, which is not from a legitimate source/MTA is not resent and so just stays in the quarantine. It's really effective, but the only downside is that some messages may be delayed for around 15 minutes as they get queued to be resent. But they'll be sent through immediately if they're on the whitelist.

Not sure why you're finding it's not working as well as it used to, I know spam volumes are up and its getting more and more difficult to stop some of the more tricky spam. Have you tried Bayesian statistics in the OS version, or adding other RBL's?

I think you'll find the new version works very well. We finished a difficult piece today of putting it together so we should have it finished this week.
Nick
mikelawford
Travelling Tuatara

Tue May 19, 2009 10:14 pm

Awesome - I will try grey listing in the mean time but cant find it anywhere - where should I be looking? Will wait to hear from you on the new version.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue May 19, 2009 10:30 pm

It's not in the open source version, it is in the new Enterprise version though so you'll be able to try it soon.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri May 22, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Mike

Just to let you know we've finished this version and it's working locally, but want to test it in our live environment before giving it out, so probably looking like Monday/Tuesday before we get it to you.
mikelawford
Travelling Tuatara

Wed May 27, 2009 2:29 am

Awesome thanks - let me know when done. No massive hurry!
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu May 28, 2009 4:34 pm

2.6.10 includes the proxy version for Unix so it will work with all unix mail servers. Installation details are in the readme file.
Download from: http://s3.amazonaws.com/Firetrust/mwes/mwes-2610.tar.gz

We're running it on our mail server and it's working well.
mikelawford
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:44 am

Hi Nick - before I get styarted I want to check a few things 1st:

I am following instructions at http://firetrust.com/en/support/mailwas ... ise_server. There is nothing about a proxy or how to set this up. As I will not be using the Milter Interface (QMail doesnt support) then how will I get the email to start being processed?

Or am I reading the wrong instructions?

Remember this is an upgrade so should we start by removing teh conduit and stopping scripts?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:53 am

Hi Mike

There's a readme file with the setup files and everything is in there for this release. We don't have anything on the website at the moment since we haven't publicly released it.
mikelawford
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:04 am

OK thanks. There is nothing about upgrading though?

Must I stop the services or uninstall the conduit or what?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:44 am

Sorry, uninstall the old version completely. But back it up first though incase you want to reinstall later.
mikelawford
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:51 am

Sorry to sound like a pleb but I need some basic commands to do that - not sure where things are kept you see....

And also how to change the conduit back to normal if I need to do that first.....
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:07 am

I'll need to get one of the linux guys to reply here as it's not my speciality. They'll be a few hours away as its early AM in New Zealand at the moment.

Return to “Post Installation”