General question re eneterprise version

Well, it's up and running, but I'm not sure if it's doing what it should.
wmf-it
Mystified Moa

General question re eneterprise version

Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:06 am

I have just installed server enterprise on a customers sbs2003 and everything seems to be working correctly (i INSTALLED THE OPENSOURCE VERSION BY ACIDENT AND WAS HAVING A TERRABLE TIME OF IT CRASHING).

However as I have now seen the old version I have some questions as to what the new version does and can do.

1. How long does the quarrantined emails stay in the list ie. do they get deleted after a certain amount of time and can I change the period.
2. How exactly does the greylist work and what is the process of the MTA.
3. If a greylisted email is allowed through after the MTA process, where is the IP/domain information stored.
4. Do users get an email showing what has been blocked periodicly or do they have to log in to have a look, can I change this
5. How can users submit junk mail that has managed to sneak through.
6. I seem to have 1 sender that continually gets stuck in the greylist and despite rescuing him 3 times now he still get caught (the emaill address that is shown seems very strange to me so maybe it is something to do with his end)
7. Where are emails stored while waiting for MTA to do its thing and where are quarrantined emails stored.

I'm sure I had a few more question, but this will do for the time being.

Generally I am pleased with the functionality of the software and will probobly reccomend that my customer purchases the software.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: General question re eneterprise version

Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:28 am

Hi,

Yes, the old version database can get corrupted on the windows version so we don't recommend using it.

In reply to your questions:

1. 7 Days before deleted, period change not at present implemented.
2. Greylisting works by temporarily failing an email and once the sending MTA re-sends the email, it is let through. Since much spam is forged and sent via compromised computers, it is not re-sent and thus does not get past the grey listing filter. Once a user is let through they are always let through immediately the next time.
3. If allowed through its not stored, its delivered
4. At the moment they have to login to look, but we're implementing a daily/weekly digest of blocked emails
5. At the moment they will have to forward to a special email address we can give.
6. Can you please send us this email if appropriate? send to nick.bolton@firetrust.com Can you let us know which version you're using?

Kind regards
Nick
7. Both are stored in the applications database
wmf-it
Mystified Moa

Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Thanks for the information.

can you let me know the process of submitting junk. Is it still forward as attachment and where does it need to go

Adrian
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Yes, just send as an attachment to this email address for now: email99@yobank.com

Regards
Nick

Return to “Post Installation”