Help with 2 exchange servers/domains

Problems/tips/tricks with MailWasher Enterprise, Windows and Exchange
nikg
Rattled Rabbit

Help with 2 exchange servers/domains

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi,

i need some help regarding a problem i am facing

I have 2 domains. Each domain has it's own exchange server (back end - 2007). I also have a frontend exchange server (2007) used by both domains.

I have installed MailWasher Enterprise on the front end server which belongs to "domain A" and seems to work fine filtering mails etc for that domain. But users at "domain B" get no mail at all.

Do you have any idea what i need to do in order to process mails for "domain B" as well?

Thanks in advance for your time
cliff
Evil Firetrust Employee

Re: Help with 2 exchange servers/domains

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:21 am

Hi Nik,

MWES is fully compatible with an Exchange 2007/2010 cluster (Front end with Mail stores behind) - we installed it without issue on a cluster just last month in fact.

There are a couple of caveats however:
* The current/latest version of MWES needs to be installed (it has specifics to handle Exchange clustering)
* SMTP Replay needs to be switched off (registry key 'use_replay' with a value of 0) - Microsoft use an extended proprietary SMTP command set between the FE and MS servers which is not handled by Replay.
* MWES needs to be installed on the Fronted server, and communicate to the fronted exchange server - not with the Mail stores.
* All domains accepted by the front end server need to be added into the MWES Domains list (otherwise they will be immediately rejected)

If you are not comfortable in installing/setting up MWES in the cluster, we offer a free remote installation service and will be more than happy to do this for you.
nikg
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks for the reply

Here is my configuration with MWES installed:

* Version 2.8 has been installed
* Regarding SMTP replay i can't find any entry in the registry for "use_replay" ( win2003 server R2)
* MWES has been installed on the front end server and communicates with it.
* I have added all the domains in the list but no success. Only processing mail for the domain that the server is member of it. Not the other

Here are my settings at exchange 2007, in order to serve the other domain before installing MWES:
Organizational Configuration - Hub Transport - Added that domain to the Accepted domains list and set it as external relay and i have also created a connector at "Send Connectors"

If i click on Properties on the second domain ("Accepted Domains" Tab) it has been configured as External relay Domain. "Email is relayed to an email server outside this Exchange organization by the Edge Transport Server."

Regards,

Nick
cliff
Evil Firetrust Employee

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Nick,

use_replay=0 will need to be added to the registry if it doesn't exist

Sounds like something is awry though.

Is it possible to get access to the cluster (just need access to the front end) to take a look? - email me on cliff@firetrust.com with the credentials if you will allow me to do so.
The credentials only need Exchange admin usually, but it may depend on your security, so admin may also be needed.

~ C

Return to “Windows Specific”