Comments on mw enterprise server...

Anything else, but be polite...
dakin
Rattled Rabbit

Comments on mw enterprise server...

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:08 am

Hi,

We are using the mailwasher server OSS for months now, and we decided to go to the entreprise.

I am surprised that some function are missing such as :
- user quarantine : admin has to go to all "spam" email to check true and false. For confidential reason it is not possible to let all user see the email of anyone,
- email submission : we use to have a junk@company.com to let user send their spam email and to teach yhe system what is spam or not. Does this exists still ? That was so easy to do ! And how can I submit spam now ?
- quarantine still : I can not see what is the recipient of the emails. As we all know, spam is a personnal consideration and some people may say it is for me and not for him... see first point...
- in OSS we were able to see first part of the message, that was important as sometime subject and sender are not relevant enough : case of newsletter for example...

I know criticism is very easy, but before proposing this to my clients I need to know about this. The function in OSS are much more seductive as first things is to tell people :
- you are submitting what you condiser as spam,
- and combined with first alert, you will reduce the spam progressively and have a spam filter especially design for you
- it is easy for people to submit spam => send attached to junk@company.com

etc...

Let me know !

Thx
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Comments on mw enterprise server...

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Dakin

Good points, let me clear a few things up a bit.

1. User quarantine. At the moment its a global quarantine system but you can give your users access to that screen only so they can sort out their own stuff. Go to Settings>>User Details and create a username/password for everyone and send it to them. They can search for their own email and when something is rescued, it is sent to the original recipient only.
No one can actually see each others emails, just the subject: and from:
We're currently implementing individual quarantine screens with individual username/password though so it's not too far away.

2. At the moment there is no junk submission feature, but your users can send to dakin@mailwasher.net and we'll process them.

3. In the quarantine screen, mouse over the rescue link and it will display the recipient.

4. Great idea on being able to preview the first part of the email. We won't allow it in the global quarantine area but we'll implement it in the individual quarantine screen when we get that live.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I'm not sure which platform you're using but we just released an update to the Linux version which implements grey listing. What a difference that makes - pretty much all the res of the spam is caught. I just wrote a post on it here http://firetrust.com/en/news/493

Nick
dakin
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:42 pm

Hi,

sorry for the missing tech info :
- AMD sempron 2700 , 3 GB Ram
- Linux centos 5.2
- Sendmail

My comments :

Point 1. I have noticed it already and we are waiting for it !
Point 2. Junk submission is really/absolutely mandatory ! This point is one the best point you had in the mailwasher OSS. It let the people know that this is a personnal antispam app and not a global one. For us this is a major commercial advantage and I hardly advise you to do it ! (I did not present myself : I am head of a small Internet company and we do app and marketing, we use Kaspam made by a friend, but he does not do a standalone server one).

Point 3. OK ! Not very intuitive :)

Point 4. that was in OSS !

New comments : the mw enterprise server is faster and nicer but we missed some great feature that make us choose mw server...
Looking forward all this improvement !

btw : very good job ;-)
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:24 am

Thanks for the comments again. I didn't realise the junk submission was high up on people's lists of likes, but come to think of it, we've had a few more people ask about it. You're right too that the resuce link it not very intuitive - we'll fix it.

I agree, there's still lots of things to add and we're releasing a new version every couple of weeks so it won't take too long to get there.

Just released 2.63 and it's got greylisting - have a read here http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1108
It mops up a lot of the remaining spam which would otherwise sneak through.

Nick
brad
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:26 am

I would have to agree with dakin, user submission of junk was one of the biggest plusses to MWS. I recently went from MWS to MWES and when I showed the owner how the new version worked, his first question was can we still submit email to the junk email address.

Another issue that bothers me is in quarantine when you rescue a message it is still left in the list. With the OSS version, it was greyed out and you could not download/rescue it anymore. With MWES you click rescue and it says it was rescued, but you can still click it over and over.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:42 pm

Great, thanks for the continued feedback. We'll have a meeting on Monday and look at these things and add them back in.

Nick
brad
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:54 am

I have to say I'm not impressed by 2.6.3, in fact I am most likely going to be reverting to 2.3.4. The amount of spam that is getting through the filter has jumped dramatically. I used to get 2-3 come through the filter each day and now I am seeing upwards of 30+ a day coming through the filter.

It seems like you went from a very nice program that worked 99% of the time and had great features to a newer version with less detection as well as less features. However, I do think the new version looks "cleaner" as far as style and usage. And hopefully you will build in some of the usability that was available in other versions.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:39 pm

Actually we had someone else say the latest version caught less spam. We're you using any other antispam functions other than FirstAlert and the Spamhaus RBL such as Bayesian filtering, or other RBL's?

It would be good to get to the bottom of this if people are finding it catches less spam than the old version (even though it uses the same techniques).

Grey listing catches a lot of spam, pretty much mops up the rest of it. But we've not got it working with Exchange yet.
dakin
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi !

In my opinion and I know I am sharing this one with many people : SPAM is a global problem, but it is a personnal problem.
Why ? SPAM is not I received advertisement email, this is more "I am fed up with all this email that I do not care about"
The difference is huge beacause :
- I can unsubscribe to advertisement email list, not from "spam" list
- I may be interested by some "good targeted" advertisement email, not from spam that promised me 1 0000000 times that I would have a better love life....

So if person A say "this is spam", people B may say "it is not for me".

This is why "spam" is a personnal things, even if some messages are annoying for most of people (but lets think of this, spammers do it beacause they have some people that clic on buy stuff, so for those people this is not spam !)

Conclusion : junk submission is really important, and for me at the same level as Rescue function. If a list "spamhaus" fo example, say it is spam and I consider it is not : 1. I should be able to recues it ; 2. My antispam should learn it is not for me either !

We have put back the OSS version + buy first alert for a new company. I will give you feedback from time to time.

Regards.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:54 pm

I'm hearing ya! We're definitely adding it back in sooner rather than later.

Nick
wilsonbrucea
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:23 am

I know it is in the works but let me add to the request for junk submission. Over the last week or so we have been averaging 10 to 20 emails per user that are definitely spam but somehow have gotten through MWES. My users are always letting me know and I just have to tell them to relax a fix is in the works.

This seems to have happened only within the last couple of weeks. Before that MWES was doing a great job.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
spauldingd
Student Sheep

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:42 am

Doing my part for the environment and conserving valuable resources I'm just going add my $.02 to this thread instead of making a new one.

I upgraded to MWES from the OSS version on Friday. I would have done it earlier in the week but I was having dependency issues between the OS I was running and MWES.

Overall, I am very pleased with the amount of spam being captured. It is grabbing so much more than the OSS version. I have one user who is apparently a major target for spammers because she is getting massive amounts of spam that make it past MWES, 84 messages in the last 24 hours. Amazingly that is down from what she was getting before so we can't complain too much.

Adding in my requests and I know that several of them are on the roadmap or have been mentioned previously, but hey, more feedback is better.

1) Quarantine emails to remind people that something has been held. If they don't get the quarantine email, they may not think to look for it.

2) Additional stats on the monitor page. It would be nice to have month, year and life to date columns. Next year when it comes time to renew. I can always go to the big dogs and show them how valuable the service was.

3) Is there a way to tell on the greylist screen if a message has actually been passed through to the users mailbox?

4) Junk submission for the previously stated reasons.

5) Preview first few lines of email.

6) Multiple Admin Users. With the OSS version, you could keep admin itself segregated, and just give various IT people access to the admin functions.

Anyway, thanks for putting out a good program and service.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:02 am

>>Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated.

Adding in my requests and I know that several of them are on the roadmap or have been mentioned previously, but hey, more feedback is better.

>>Always really happy to get feature requests.

1) Quarantine emails to remind people that something has been held. If they don't get the quarantine email, they may not think to look for it.

>>This is in slated for version 2.80 (2.74 is next, then 2.80)

2) Additional stats on the monitor page. It would be nice to have month, year and life to date columns. Next year when it comes time to renew. I can always go to the big dogs and show them how valuable the service was.

>>We'll be adding in stats/graphs in 2.80

3) Is there a way to tell on the greylist screen if a message has actually been passed through to the users mailbox?

>>Good point. At the moment the greyed out messages are an indication that they are being retried but that's a good idea to show which ones have been delivered.

4) Junk submission for the previously stated reasons.

>>Coming in 2.74

5) Preview first few lines of email.

>>Coming in 2.74 It's just a mouse over and tooltip displays first 5 lines

6) Multiple Admin Users. With the OSS version, you could keep admin itself segregated, and just give various IT people access to the admin functions.

>>Good idea, we'll add it to the list.

Anyway, thanks for putting out a good program and service.

>>You're welcome, thanks for the feedback.
systemshark
Mystified Moa

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:53 am

Having used MWES for several months. the two things my users are missing is

1) Ability for them to add to the black / white lists...
2) Handle all of this from inside outlook.

Any chance of enhancements within these please..
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:34 am

Hi, the first option is on the list to be done and shouldn't be too far away. We've talked about some sort of Outlook integration and will look at this after our current roadmap is finished

Return to “Miscellaneous”