Good mail goes to Recycle Bin

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
tjerin
Mystified Moa

Good mail goes to Recycle Bin

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:09 am

mailwasher good mail in recycle.JPG
mailwasher good mail in recycle.JPG (58.42 KiB) Viewed 79 times
Every so often I get a "good" status mail showing up in the Recycle Bin. Additionally I'm not able to restore any mail yet but that's another issue.

Any ideas how the good status email can end up in recycle?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Good mail goes to Recycle Bin

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 am

Can you send me some logs.

If you go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'as per forum' >> Send Logs >> reply back here once sent.

The log sending uses the same mechanism as restoring, so this may not work. Once you reply back here, I'll check for arrival and if they don't arrive will ask for a manual file to be sent.

Cheers
tjerin
Mystified Moa

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:33 am

Logs just sent 1:32 PM Arizona Time
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:01 am

OK great.

In the Recycle Bin, if you highlight the message, click View in the top right menu >> Sidebar >> expand the sidebar if necessary. Check for the message being tagged by either FirstAlert or one of the DNSBL Servers. As you've enabled auto-deletion for FirstAlert and the Origin of Spam servers, MailWasher won't care if the message is 'Good' or 'Spam' for messages tagged by those.

What you may want to do, is turn off the auto-delete for those Spam Tools individually, and leave the main auto-delete active. The main auto-delete you have also set is where it looks at all the different Spam Tools, including the Learning, and decides after all results considered.
To do that under Settings >> Spam Tools >> Origin of Spam >> click the Options tab >> change the auto-delete setting >> Save.
Then under Settings >> Spam Tools >> FirstAlert >> change the auto-delete setting >> Save.

The reason restoring is failing is because Hotmail has changed their email policy to only allow messages to be sent From the specific authenticated address. When MailWasher restores a message, it keeps the original From intact. This I expect effects your Outlook accounts also.

However, when MailWasher gets an error restoring a message, it should try a fallback account set under Settings >> Recycle Bin >> Restoring >> it looks like you already have your GMail account set there, which is good, but MailWasher does not seem to be attempting to use this account to restore the message after getting the initial failure.

In the interim until we can look at this problem, and get a fix you can go into Settings >> Accounts >> Outgoing >> Advanced >> use your GMail credentials for the SMTP server, username, password etc..
Try this for say for your Hotmail account, check it restores, repeat for other Outlook accounts.

I did also notice the GMail account looks like it's trying to check a folder named Junk but failing that doesn't exist. Under Settings >> Accounts >> select the IMAP tab >> uncheck the Junk folder >> Save.
tjerin
Mystified Moa

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:48 pm

Wow, I just lost a long reply to your last post because apparently my session had timed out! Let me see if I can re-create it. :shock:

Thanks for your quick and informative reply. My feedback/results follow:

1) Thanks for pointing out the non-existent GMail junk folder was being checked. I removed it.

2) I turned off auto delete for FirstAlert and OriginOfSpam filters so I'll see how it behaves going forward.

3) I changed the Outlook outgoing settings to use the GMail settings and the restore worked perfectly. Is there someway I can be notified when the restore fall-back account issue gets resolved?

4) Finally, I did find 2 other "good" emails in the Bin. They were from ssa.gov and were NOT trapped by FIrstAlert or OriginOfSpam as far as I can tell. Any ideas how those might have gotten sent there? It's odd because many other emails from ssa.gov were also "good" and DIDN'T get sent to Recycle.

Thanks again!
Tom
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:24 pm

tjerin wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:48 pm
Wow, I just lost a long reply to your last post because apparently my session had timed out! Let me see if I can re-create it. :shock:
Sorry about that, I've just extended the session timeout another 60 minutes, so hopefully not an issue in future.

tjerin wrote: 3) I changed the Outlook outgoing settings to use the GMail settings and the restore worked perfectly. Is there someway I can be notified when the restore fall-back account issue gets resolved?
MailWasher will auto-update when we have a new version ready. Though I would say it will be some time as the programmers are buried in version 8, and this fix won't go in until after that. So you may want to make that SMTP setting change for all the Office/Hotmail accounts.

tjerin wrote:4) Finally, I did find 2 other "good" emails in the Bin. They were from ssa.gov and were NOT trapped by FIrstAlert or OriginOfSpam as far as I can tell. Any ideas how those might have gotten sent there? It's odd because many other emails from ssa.gov were also "good" and DIDN'T get sent to Recycle.
If FirstAlert, Origin of Spam, or a Custom Filter aren't tagging those SSA emails, then I can't say what might be the issue. If they were deleted in the last 3 days, I might get more information from log files. If they aren't already, add the sender to your Friends List, that will add extra protections for your new auto-delete setup.

Cheers

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”