Mailwasher opening a second outlook

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Avspinball
Travelling Tuatara

Mailwasher opening a second outlook

Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:17 pm

this has been happening for a while for me, over two updates. I usually have outlook (Office 365) open all the time. I will wash mail and it will maximize outllook for me to then send/receive. What's been happen occasionally is outlook opens but nothing works as far as any buttons. The I realize that mailwasher opened a second outlook. I have to close it then the open outlook works fine.
So, Why would mailwasher open a second outlook when it is already open?
Win 11 64 pro
MW 7.12.97
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Re: Mailwasher opening a second outlook

Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:33 pm

Yes, this is a known issue with Outlook that sometimes occurs....

If Outlook is installed on your PC, (not a app from the windows store or webmail) try going into Settings>>General>>Washing Mail, click your email application button that shows there, click, "Use other Application" and "Browse" to the location of the Outlook .exe file, this is usually:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE"

Then once selected, add a space and /recycle to the end of the command >> Save. Try opening your email program.

You can also try copying/pasting the below, which is the full command with the tag already set.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE" /recycle
Avspinball
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:57 pm

I made the switch. Hopefully it works.
Thanks!
Avspinball
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:29 pm

Didn't work. Now, every time I wash mail it opens a new outlook. I had five open before realizing it.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:20 am

Hmmm, for what it's worth (for FT coders). I have Office Home and Business 2016. This is the stand-alone version (not 365) of Office with Outlook. And I have never experienced this problem. While I am just 1 person making this anecdotal, it would appear to be something unique with the 365 version.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
gingbat

Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:15 am

Yes, that's pretty odd alright, if you create a new desktop shortcut for Outlook, does that open it OK without problem?

If so, create a new shortcut to Outlook and place it in a out of the way folder like your documents within a folder you don't use much, try the shortcut there.

If that still works fine, point MW to that shortcut....

To do this, right click on that shortcut, click "copy as path"

Open MWpro, click Settings>>General>>Washing Mail, and then select 'Use Other Application' from the drop down menu, then click in the empty field there and click Ctrl V to paste. (or right click >> Paste)

Click Save... how'd that go?
Avspinball
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:51 am

Nope, still opens new outlook with each wash or clicking on mail program. Think I will put it back to Outlook and deal with the occasional duplicate.
thanks
gingbat

Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:44 am

Yes, if this works without creating a duplicate Outlook...
if you create a new desktop shortcut for Outlook, does that open it OK without problem?
It's pretty odd that the shortcut opens a duplicate Outlook when opened from within MWPro alright...
Avspinball
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:52 am

The desktop shortcut opens fine and only one copy. Only when I link to it in MW will it continually open outlook within MW only.
gingbat

Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:44 am

Yes, that's pretty odd alright, I would have said it's related to MWP using the edge web viewer in the most recent .97 version, but you say it's been occurring over the last couple of versions....?

If it's too annoying, the next step would be the below....

Backup first: File>>Export, save the file somewhere safe.

- Click, Help>>User Files,
- Minimise the folder that opens,
- Click File>>Exit to close MWPro,
- Maxamise that folder,

Delete the file: "GeneralSettings.xml"

- Then restart MWPro.

Setup Outlook as default again and see how that goes?

---------

If still no good however, next option would be to uninstall MWpro and click NO to save your user data.

Browse to the following folders (IF there) and delete actual "Firetrust" folders:

C:\Program Files\Firetrust
C:\Program Files (x86)\FireTrust
C:\ProgramData\Firetrust

(The last folder is actually hidden, so you may need to enable Windows to show hidden files and folders under,
the Windows Control Panel, Folder Options>>View Tab>>Select, Show hidden files and folders.)

Then install MWPro from here:

http://www.firetrust.com/products/mailw ... o/download

Close any setup wizards, but set Outlook as the default email client in MWPro and test it...

If that works OK, then click File>>Import and import your backed up file.

Does it still work?
Avspinball
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:13 am

When I get some time I will work on this.
Thanks for taking the time to help with this.
wildlife~horizons
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:29 am

G'day All,

Ive been using a very old version of Mailwasher that Ive had for over 20 years and it was still working perfectly up until my webhost did a server migration and a change of security yesterday. And so I purchased the latest version of Mailwasher Pro 7_12_97. Since uninstalling the old version and installing the new version I get a similar issue with the OP of Mailwasher opening a second session of the nominated Email Client.

However, as I'm using Thunderbird it seems to be smart enough to know that it already has an open session running and just switches over to the active session. Mailwasher on the other hand doesnt appear to query if there is an active session already open of the nominated email client software. If I deselect open "Launch Email Program after Wash Mail" and manually press the launch Mail Program, again it tries to open another session of the open email client. When I check Task Manager, its clearly showing that Thunderbird is actively running, even if its idle, but has launched and is open.

So it appears that Mailwasher is not searching to see if there is an open session of the mail client. This could be a work-around, but may delay processing mail for a few moments to query processes to see if its running. I also thought I look if Mailwasher knew if it has an active open session, which it does know that its already open, so it is already doing the query for that and even if Mailwasher is minimised, it just restores the active session. Why not for the mail client as well.

Regards.
Craig
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:35 am

Avspinball wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:17 pm
I usually have outlook (Office 365) open all the time.
There are a number of ways of opening Outlook — what is your way of opening Outlook . . . when MailWasher is not running?
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Avspinball
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:41 am

It's rare that I have to open outlook without mailwasher. I get so many emails it's always open. The only time I close it is when I accidently hit close instead of minimize. When I do open, I use the shortcut from office.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:46 am

Avspinball wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:41 am
I use the shortcut from office.
Yes . . . the Outlook shortcut — where exactly does it reside . . . (for example — Start Menu, Taskbar, Desktop Dock, etc., etc.)
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”