MW unable to detect sender email

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
The Enforcer
Student Sheep

MW unable to detect sender email

Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:35 am

Hi,

One of the regular spammers trying to infect my account is a scumbag who tries to impersonate Facebook with a bogus 'someone has logged into your account' that closely, but not exactly, mirrors the genuine email you'd get from Facebook if someone did log into your account (this can happen if you change device or location).

For some reason, this spam doesn't have a sender address, so I am unable to get MW to blacklist it. Is it possible to blacklist spam by subject or body instead, as I haven't discovered that option anywhere in settings?

Cheers,
TE
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Re: MW unable to detect sender email

Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:39 am

hello again! :) no, blacklist can only work on the senders email address, best option here is to create a filter....

Check out the Filter tips here:

http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/ma ... d-features

And under, Help>>Help>>Topics>>Spam Tools>>Using Filters for details on making a filter.

You can set your filters, (Settings>>Spam Tools>>Filters>>click a filter>>Edit) to auto delete by selecting this option under the Actions tab there...
The Enforcer
Student Sheep

Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:32 am

Great, I shall have a play with that. Thanks for your help with this and my other recent posts. :thumbsup
The Enforcer
Student Sheep

Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:42 am

I was having trouble filtering 'Facescum' out using the 'subject' field, because unfortunately neither 'contains' nor 'is' would recognise the subject or parts of the subject even though I had typed it correctly. The only way I caught this spammer in Thunderbird was with a 'subject begins with' filter, which MW doesn't seem to have, Thunderbird also has a 'subject ends with' filter, which I found equally useful (begins/ends with could also be used with 'From'). However, I have caught it in MW by using the 'Reply-To' and 'contains' fields, where this nutcase uses variants of an email address starting "unusual.sign-in.activity". In Thunderbird, I used to tell it to automatically forward these spams to Facebook's phishing reporting email, but that means it has to open the email and they never do anything to stop this idiot even after 100's of emails, so what's the point?!
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:21 pm

No problem at all.... ?) and yes, often spammers have more than one TO or FROM field so these filters don't work in some cases, however using the "Header" rule in the filter should work for these...

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”