Multiple instances of "Microsoft Edge WebView2" constantly running while MailWasher is in the background

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Re: Multiple instances of "Microsoft Edge WebView2" constantly running while MailWasher is in the background

Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:07 am

Yes, MW needs to run webviewer to display html based emails, I'm no programmer so can only assume it starts the process automatically so it's ready to go when a user clicks on an html email.
If it really needs it, then I don't have a problem with it starting with MW.

I am not a programmer either - but I did work for 10 years in a software development company as one of their hardware techs where one of my other hats was as an in-house beta tester. One of the things we were constantly looking for was memory leaks and system resources failing to get released by processes that didn't terminate when no longer needed

So to me, I don't see why multiple instances of WebViewer need to run. I am only displaying one email at a time - and plain text is the default.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
team-zr1
Mystified Moa

Re: Multiple instances of "Microsoft Edge WebView2" constantly running while MailWasher is in the background

Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:36 pm

philsbbs wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:16 pm
Thanks for sharing the task kill I agree the process should be killed after mailwasher has finished with it, maybe this can be added to the version 8 release.
Just today, 2/6/23 there was an auto update of Mailwasher, version 7.12.97 on my Windows 7 Pro desktop

I saw right away via task manager Eight times this webview2 running concurrently and sucking up a lot of memory !

I do not take kindly that this update did a full install (without asking if I wanted this to happen) for a program I never even heard about

I looked in startup of Win 7 to see if I could turn this off but not there, I then went to services to see if stopping it and then setting to disable to find this not shown there but 2 instances of auto updates for this webview2 which I do not take kindly of this being done without the suer knowing this auto updater even running and doing what who knows.

I made the shortcut for a task kill as shown about and that works, but that is a pain to have to do every time MW is unloaded and then loaded again or restarting the desktop

Is there a way to turn it off or uninstall it and MW work as it has in the past ?

Why when this issue was written on this forum 3 months ago was an auto MW update done today with the same problem as 3 months ago ?

I see no reason after 15 years of MW to all of a sudden need to read unknown emails in HTML when to me MW is a stop gap of preventing bogus emails and Only read emails after MW has tagged spam, etc. and only then I allow good emails to be allowed via MS express and read emails there

Thanks for reading my rant . . . JR
JR - Team ZR-1
team-zr1
Mystified Moa

Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:58 pm

Well this stinks,
after using the task kill, the first incoming new email comes in, MW Pro crashes, comes up with a popup screen saying do i want to send a bug report
which i allow and MW Pro crashes and shuts down

Does anyone QA new versions before allowing auto updates ?

Is there a way to revert to last version that did not use this webview2 ?
Where would I get an older version and would that allow to install without deleting 15 years of black/whitelists, etc. and my license of my MW Pro ?

Thanks
JR - Team ZR-1
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:11 pm

Yes, that is no problem, uninstall, click yes to save settings, then install the pre webviewer version from here:

http://cdn.firetrust.com/downloads/mail ... _12_67.exe

Note also, that if you have not already, and are pretty fond of your 15 years of files, backup via File>>Export, or by saving the contents of the Help>>User Files folder first.

Just in case any problems.... cheers!
team-zr1
Mystified Moa

Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:39 pm

Thanks Gingbat !

Damn new version crashed 3 times when task kill shut down webview2 and then looked at received emails MW Pro

So I did as you stated and then installed the older version, and deleted webview2
Tested and no crashes now
Also turned off MW Pro auto updater

JR
JR - Team ZR-1
gingbat

Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:57 pm

Yes, I cant imagine it liked having a process killed that it was using at the time... :) but yes, no problem to continue on with that older version for sure... cheers!
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:16 am

and sucking up a lot of memory !
A lot of memory? How much memory?

I just checked my Task Manager and I have 18!!! instances :( of Microsoft Edge WebView2 running. See SS below.

However, when I add them all up together, they are using 200.2MB of memory. That is not "a lot".

Still, 18 instances makes no sense to me when I only have one instance of Microsoft Edge running with just one tab (this page) open.

And yes, I have found if you now use that taskkill command while MW is running, MW will soon will crash. So I don't know what changed between now and last time I used the taskkill command (when MW kept on running just fine). But regardless, I no longer recommend running taskkill - unless you exit MW and find instances of WebView2 still running.

Webview2.JPG
Webview2.JPG (96.95 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:44 am

I now have 34 instances of it running - with this the only Edge and tab open. How can that be considered okay?
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
gingbat

Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:24 am

Yes, I'm not seeing anything like that at all myself... weird.... got a new beta hopefully coming out tonight, will post it either tonight or tomorrow morning and we'll see how that goes first....
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:32 am

Okay so "hurry up and wait!" After 24 years in the military, I am an expert at that! ;)
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
gingbat

Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:34 am

:lol: :thumbsup
gingbat

Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:21 am

update... .still waiting for beta.... yawn....
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:54 am

LOL - And I still know how to wait.

To me, this definitely is a problem - but not a high priority. Now if all these instances did indeed eat up a lot of memory - especially if it got to the point where it was bogging systems down, then it would be a very high priority.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
gingbat

Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:57 am

hey Digerati, just released .119 on the beta post and via auto updater in MWP, however no fix/mention for the above yet sorry, let me know how this one goes for you anyways....

http://cdn.firetrust.com/downloads/mail ... 12_119.exe
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:08 am

Thanks. I saw that. I hope you also go my PM about using HTTPS instead of HTTP? Many browsers balk at the lack of a secure link.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”