Emails still visible in webmail and IMAP client after being deleted using MW

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
markc
Rattled Rabbit

Emails still visible in webmail and IMAP client after being deleted using MW

Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:33 am

Over the last few weeks I've had a problem where emails I've deleted using MailWasher are still visible in my webmail (with the email provider) and my iPhone Mail app (IMAP) . They're not able to be downloaded via my Outlook 365 POP3 client though, as would be expected.

The emails are still visible in my webmail and my iPhone Mail app (IMAP) for about another 2 hours, but after that period of time they're gone from both.

I've spoken to my email provider, but they were unable to provide an explanation for this situation.

If I remember correctly (??), I updated to MW 7.12.119 'a few weeks' ago.

I changed to a new PC also at a around this time, but wouldn't have thought this would have caused any issues. I imported the MW settings from my old PC into the new PC

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Many thanks.
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Re: Emails still visible in webmail and IMAP client after being deleted using MW

Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:54 am

Yes, when MW sends the delete command to the IMAP server, it sounds like the server is just slow to actually preform the deletion, instead of actually preforming the deletion, it is just marking them for deletion...?

If they are eventually deleted, it's got to be a server side setting....?

All MW does is send the delete command, from there it's up to the server to actually preform the deletion....
markc
Rattled Rabbit

Re: Emails still visible in webmail and IMAP client after being deleted using MW

Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:37 am

Hi,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

That's what originally thought must be happening, but if this is the case I don't understand why the emails 'deleted' by MW DON'T download when I check my email with Outlook 365 POP3 if they'll still on the server.

My MW is configured for POP3.

Just further information, if I delete an email using my iPhone IMAP Mail app, it's deleted immediately from the webmail portal view and also from MW i.e. does what I'd expect it to do.

Thanks.
Rahosi
Student Sheep

Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:10 pm

I am having the same (gmail) problem, but in both directions.

some emails I delete in Outlook2021 remain in MW
some emails I delete in MW remain in Outlook2021
I also use Android Aquamail which shows the same problem

Also I am experiencing duplicate showings of a few emails in MW, which I suspect has the same fault origin as above.

(MW Aquamail, & O21 A/cs are IMAP)
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:34 pm

markc wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:37 am
That's what originally thought must be happening, but if this is the case I don't understand why the emails 'deleted' by MW DON'T download when I check my email with Outlook 365 POP3 if they'll still on the server.

My MW is configured for POP3.

Based on my experience, when you can use both POP3 and IMAP to access an account, these run as separate systems, with some form of synchronisation, rather than there being one database that is read by both the POP3 and IMAP access methods.

So it sounds like your email provider takes a while to synchronise the POP3 and IMAP systems that it runs. So if you always use POP3, as you do with MailWasher and Outlook, then you will get consistent results. But if you use POP3 and IMAP, it's going to take a while to synchronise.

I see similar things with a couple of my accounts, even always using IMAP. I've always assumed that my ISP has a number of servers for IMAP, and it just takes a while for deletions to get reflected everywhere.
Windows 10
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:56 pm

Rahosi wrote:
I am having the same (gmail) problem, but in both directions.

some emails I delete in Outlook2021 remain in MW
some emails I delete in MW remain in Outlook2021
I also use Android Aquamail which shows the same problem

Also I am experiencing duplicate showings of a few emails in MW, which I suspect has the same fault origin as above.

Hi Rahosi,

As also hinted by gingbat — you may need to make some adjustments in your Gmail account, as well.

While I am not sure which e-mail account (webmail) markc is using — the following 4 Gmail adjustments work great for me . . . with MailWasher on POP3:—
Gmail_Settings.png
Gmail_Settings.png (670.67 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Rahosi
Student Sheep

Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:23 pm

My Gmail settings remain IMAP only and Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update server.

So that is not the issue.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:36 pm

Rahosi wrote:
All my other e-mail accounts use the IMAP protocol . . . with MailWasher — except Gmail.

Personally, I find it difficult . . . almost impossible to get IMAP working perfectly with Gmail due to all that duplication of mail from the All Mails folder categorization — however, to attain perfection with Gmail on POP3, I manipulate Gmail . . . such, that all spam is forced into the Gmail Inbox folder. ;)

That been said . . . gingbat employs the IMAP protocol with Gmail — he might have something better for you. :thumbsup
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:15 am

Yes, re Rahosi's problem, just check you are not checking the all mail folder in MWPro for your gmail account, as that'll show all emails you delete as well as any new ones.... also check all programs checking/deleting gmail are using the same protocol, (IMAP or POP) as sometimes a mix can cause weird gmail issues like this....

The fact that the problem occurs both ways (eg when deleting from MW or Outlook, and even your android app) points to something within gmail itself however....

The other option if it no gmail settings changes help, (try changing them to auto expunge OFF, save changes, log out, then log back and and re-enable that for example) is to set gmail to forward emails to another email account (eg, your ISP's one if you have one) and check that account in MW and outlook etc....
Rahosi
Student Sheep

Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:29 am

All my settings are correct. InBox not AllMail. No POP3 access. 'Flipped Auto Expunge' is on.

My Broadband Speed is 920meg up and down. 1Gb Ethernet connection to router.
Windows 11pro, 32 Gb ram, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz Samsung 1tb SSD. Thus although a few years old, a fast computer.
MW 7.12.125. Speed100, Throttle3, Frequency 3min, Download Period 30 days.

5 email accounts are checked. The 4 smallest are rapid. The biggest (gmail) downloads rapidly but evaluation of the 30 days only emails , 774 messages takes over half an hour (same emails, even after a restart).
Gmail reports this account as 10.15 Gb of 15Gb &17200 emails.

After being off all weekend, when the emails were accessed this morning everything (say 50 mainly unread emails) is missing from the off period. All are present in Outlook 2021 when I open it.
Also of note is that Classify setting don't always stick.

I have tried 'Clear Message List' which doesn't help.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:16 am

Rahosi wrote:
All my settings are correct. InBox not AllMail. No POP3 access. 'Flipped Auto Expunge' is on.
Rahosi wrote:
I have tried 'Clear Message List' which doesn't help.
TrustFire wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:36 pm
Personally, I find it difficult . . . almost impossible to get IMAP working perfectly with Gmail due to all that duplication of mail from the All Mails folder categorization — however, to attain perfection with Gmail on POP3, I manipulate Gmail . . . such, that all spam is forced into the Gmail Inbox folder. ;)
If nothing else works, for you — (in so far as Gmail is concerned,) you might find yourself left with the last resort . . . to switch from IMAP to POP3 (as also mentioned on my previous post & reproduced here.) ;)

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”