Bouncing not working. Help.

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
pktcandtcc
It begins with a single step

Bouncing not working. Help.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:39 pm

I am newly using MW Pro. I did some tests to see what the bounced e-mails look like. I used some dummy gmail accounts made for the purpose. I sent a simple e-mail from each account to another account set up as the recipient. When the test e-mails came into MW Pro, I marked them as spam and set them for bouncing. I did a mail wash. MW said it was deleting and bouncing. I waited till it finished. It has now been two days since I did the bounces and not a single bounced e-mail has arrived.

Either I am doing something wrong -- please let me know, or MW Pro 7.50 is not bouncing e-mails. Since I purchased it specifically to bounce e-mails. I am not very happy. I need the MW staff to give me a proper answer, please.

Tony Duff
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: Bouncing not working. Help.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:04 pm

pktcandtcc wrote:I used some dummy gmail accounts made for the purpose.
pktcandtcc wrote:Either I am doing something wrong -- please let me know, or MW Pro 7.50 is not bouncing e-mails.
This is what works 100% for me — please check out my MWP V7 settings for Gmail:—
  • Bounce_Settings__(Gmail).png
    Bounce_Settings__(Gmail).png (55.04 KiB) Viewed 9575 times
pktcandtcc wrote:Since I purchased it specifically to bounce e-mails. I am not very happy. I need the MW staff to give me a proper answer, please.

Tony Duff
I am not a Firetrust employee (just another MWP User, like you) — BTW, you might want to take a hard look at the following post:—
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
maxrebos
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:52 pm

I have my gmail account set up just like your picture. Bounce DOES NOT WORK!!!
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:00 pm

What is the complete error description?
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:29 am

Your mail service provider may be blocking the Bounce attempt.
Bouncing is not of value anymore. It can bring an unwanted flood to the mail service provider and or your mailbox. In addition you do not have any way to be sure that the incoming email came from who it says. The spammers frequently use addresses that have been misappropriated.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Andy
Mystified Moa

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi
Thanks for that I have been trying to get this bouncing working for ages not so much for spam but to block someone I know.

At first it didnt work & received an email from google saying someone was tring to use my account through another App. I had to go into the link provided & turn it on so that it would use other Apps & it worked. I guess talktalk have turned off bouncing somehow.

I also found I had to turn on TLS for it to work. the only problem is when I turn this on I can not restore anything from the recycle bin unless it is turned off!
Any idea why this is?
Thanks
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:00 pm

Andy wrote:I also found I had to turn on TLS for it to work. the only problem is when I turn this on I can not restore anything from the recycle bin unless it is turned off!
  1. Please describe in detail what happens when you attempt to restore from the Recycle Bin and post the contents of the event log.
  2. Also, post a screenshot like mine (check out the instructions, if required.)
Andy
Mystified Moa

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:21 pm

Thanks for the quick reply,
I have just tried it again & I can now restore emails with TLS! perhaps it is because I have restarted my computer which would have turned MW off & then on again. Do you have to restart Mailwasher for changes to take effect?
Thanks
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:40 am

Most of the settings on MailWasher take effect immediately — however, a few may require a program restart.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:24 am

Sidewinder wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:29 am
Your mail service provider may be blocking the Bounce attempt.
Bouncing is not of value anymore. It can bring an unwanted flood to the mail service provider and or your mailbox. In addition you do not have any way to be sure that the incoming email came from who it says. The spammers frequently use addresses that have been misappropriated.
^^^This^^^

As Sidewinder noted, the bad guys are not going to be using their own legitimate email addresses. So even if your ISP allowed bounces, the bounce would not get back to the bad guy. It will either end up in the bit-bucket or some totally innocent person who's email address was stolen would get the bounce messages flooding his or her inbox.

And there have even been reports of ISPs threatening to disable accounts if people bounce emails.

Many of us have been calling for the bounce feature to be removed because it really is not helpful in reducing spam.

About the only time a bounce might be useful is to bounce the stalking emails from your X. But I find ignoring them is more fun! ;)
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”