Bouncing or not?

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
hans peter
Travelling Tuatara

Bouncing or not?

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:27 am

I have tried to read most of what is written about bouncing on Fire Trust Support Forums and am getting more and more confused. Why exists the function at all if it is inappropriate to bounce? I would appreciate if someone responsible from Firetrust could explain. Perhaps as an announcement?
K.r.
/hans peter
MW Pro 7.12.188
Win11
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Re: Bouncing or not?

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:52 am

Not from FT but:

(1) Not recommended
(2) It's a carry over feature from prior times when it was used and not abused and the spammers were much less sophisticated. Some still insist on using it for the ex'es
(3) Many ISP's will either prohibit or remove your account due to the flood problems from today's spammers
(4) It automatically identifies your account as a live address and thus become a prime target.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
hans peter
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:21 am

Thank you Sidewinder! I´ll await an official comment from FT.
K.r.
/hans peter
MW Pro 7.12.188
Win11
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:58 am

hans peter wrote:Thank you Sidewinder! I´ll await an official comment from FT.
K.r.
/hans peter
I would suggest that you sent the request via email to FT Support if you want their answer. The crew now is a slimmed down for the holidays.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:44 am

Yes, although you can still bounce in our current version, (just right click an email and click mark for bounce) we actually disabled the bounce column/auto bounce function to stop users from bouncing all spam emails, as we no longer actually recommend to bounce all emails because 90% of all email addresses in Spam messages are forged and therefore no one will ever receive that bounce message and it is just unnecessary email traffic.

Where the bounce feature is demonstrably useful however is where you are trying to get off a legitimate business's mailing list that you are having trouble opting out of. Business mailing lists usually do check for bounces, do recognize MailWasher bounces as legitimate and do remove you from their mailing list.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”