Why is MW 7 only reporting part of the marked spam to SpamCop.net?

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Alfred B
Mystified Moa

Why is MW 7 only reporting part of the marked spam to SpamCop.net?

Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:40 pm

When I look at the Event Log tab, I see that many times only part of the emails I have marked for reporting actually get reported. This seems worse the larger number of emails to be reported. Why is this?
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Re: Why is MW 7 only reporting part of the marked spam to SpamCop.net?

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Do you mean that the number of emails marked for reporting is larger than the number reported to SpamCop?

Or do you mean that only part of each email marked for reporting is sent to SpamCop? If this is the problem, in the MailWasher Settings, go to General - Checking Mail and increase the Spam Throttle setting. This will increase the number of lines of each email that is downloaded, and so MailWasher will have more to send to SpamCop.
Windows 10
Alfred B
Mystified Moa

Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:05 am

Yes I am referring to the number of emails being reported. According to the MW Event Log, the number of emails marked for reporting is larger than the number reported to SpamCop.

For example, over the last 7 days, I processed the following spam (M= number marked for reporting and R= number event log shows were reported):

M / R
23 / 13
1 / 1
1 / 1
3 / 2
7 / 1
1 / 1
3 / 2
2 / 1
1 / 1
9 / 2
5 / 3
1 / 1
1 / 1
2 / 1
1 / 1
1 / 1
3 / 2
11 / 6
11 / 3
2 / 1
2 / 1
3 / 2
2 / 1
6 / 4

My Spam Throttle setting is the maximum for accuracy (9999).
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:43 am

MailWasher combines reported emails into a single report where possible, so, for example, 3 spam emails may be sent in one report to SpamCop. SpamCop then unpacks them, and treats each spam email separately. From memory, there is a size limit that defines how many spam emails can be combined into a single report. So that would be what I expect is happening here.

Why are you worrying about this? You must know how many spam emails SpamCop is receiving from you, because you have to log into SpamCop to confirm the reports. If they're all getting there, what does it matter how MailWasher sends them?
Windows 10
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:36 am

MailWasher does put multiple messages into a single report and if I recall we do not construct messages larger than 50kb, which is the size limit for SpamCop email submissions.
Alfred B
Mystified Moa

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:24 am

Why did you delete my last reply instead of explaining why Mailwasher is not submitting some of the spam emails to SpamCop?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Alfred B wrote:Why did you delete my last reply instead of explaining why Mailwasher is not submitting some of the spam emails to SpamCop?
Are you talking about your reply to the SpamCop thread http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10200
I didn't delete the post, I moved your comment out into it's own thread.
Alfred B
Mystified Moa

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:18 pm

The missing post to which I refer was my reply to your question about me being worried that you posted Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:43 am above in this thread. Why would you move my reply comment out into it's own thread and where did you move it?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:21 pm

I moved your reply from that thread and created a new topic with it, which is now this thread. It was more likely to get attention than being buried in the SpamCop thread that you initially posted in.
Alfred B
Mystified Moa

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:38 pm

I understand that you created a new thread starting with my original March 3, 2017 post. It was my March 8, 2017 post that is missing. It read essentially as follows:
ataraxy wrote:MailWasher combines reported emails into a single report where possible, so, for example, 3 spam emails may be sent in one report to SpamCop. SpamCop then unpacks them, and treats each spam email separately. From memory, there is a size limit that defines how many spam emails can be combined into a single report. So that would be what I expect is happening here.

Why are you worrying about this? You must know how many spam emails SpamCop is receiving from you, because you have to log into SpamCop to confirm the reports. If they're all getting there, what does it matter how MailWasher sends them?

I understand that MailWasher combines spam emails into a single submission where possible.

To answer your question, since worry is a useless emotion, I never worry about anything.

Yes, I do know exactly how many spam emails SpamCop is receiving from me through MailWasher (see list above that I posted on March 8).

While I can and sometimes do, I do not have to log into SpamCop to confirm the reports, since I receive email notifications for every spam submitted to SpamCop.

The very issue is that all the emails marked for reporting are NOT all getting to SpamCop.

To answer your last question, it does not matter to me how MailWasher sends them, provided they get sent.

So, why is it that, according to the MailWasher Event Log (and SpamCop records), many of the spam emails marked in MailWasher for reporting are not being submitted to SpamCop?
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:34 am

Alfred B wrote:I do not have to log into SpamCop to confirm the reports, since I receive email notifications for every spam submitted to SpamCop.
Is this the sort of email notification that you get from SpamCop:
MailWasher - 2017_0311 - SpamCop email.jpg
MailWasher - 2017_0311 - SpamCop email.jpg (47.02 KiB) Viewed 11067 times
Windows 10
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:39 am

SpamCop lately seems to only respond with two reported spam messages in one notice, Then shortly thereafter another notice comes in.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Alfred B
Mystified Moa

Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:13 am

ataraxy wrote:
Alfred B wrote:I do not have to log into SpamCop to confirm the reports, since I receive email notifications for every spam submitted to SpamCop.

No, what you have pictured is a standard SpamCop notification of spam submission received (that that you still need to manually process at the SpamCop website). What I use is the SpamCop quick reporting service which completes the submission automatically and then generates an email notification to me with the subject line: "[SpamCop] Quick reporting data".
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:57 am

Alfred B wrote:
ataraxy wrote:

No, what you have pictured is a standard SpamCop notification of spam submission received (that that you still need to manually process at the SpamCop website). What I use is the SpamCop quick reporting service which completes the submission automatically and then generates an email notification to me with the subject line: "[SpamCop] Quick reporting data".
Have you asked SpamCop about your issue?
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Alfred B
Mystified Moa

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:04 am

Yes, Richard at Spamcop and I go way back as I have worked with him for 15+ years. However, he has no way of helping with this issue, since Mailwasher is not sending the spam to SpamCop.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”