Restored email loses HTML element frequently (but not always)

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Aresby
Mystified Moa

Restored email loses HTML element frequently (but not always)

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:21 am

Hi Guys

When I restore an auto-deleted email I get the "text" version (usually, not 100%) but frequently no HTML. Neither can I read the email back in the Recycle Bin in HTML format either, just text. If I subsequently download the restored email to Outlook it is blank.

Is there either something I can set to prevent the HTML content being deleted or to restore all parts of the email?

I'm using 7.11.0.

Thanks for any pointers!
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: Restored email loses HTML element frequently (but not always)

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:53 am

You may want to check your Spam Throttle for the Number of lines downloaded per email setting.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:40 pm

In addition to TrustFire's post you may need to know some more about spam throttle: to speed up mail handling, MWP only downloads the number of lines you indicate in [general settings>>general options>>checkmail settings], as most of the time a limited number of lines is sufficient to decide whether a mssge should be classified as spam or not. Drawback: only this limited number of lines will be stored in the recycle bin, when deleting a message. Subsequently MWP can only retrieve that number of lines... :roll: Thus the HTML code of a retrieved message will be incomplete at best, with the result you've observed. :dead

Full throttle will mean being able to retrieve HTML mssges (most of the time) but may slow down MWP considerably. :facepalm It takes some experimenting with the throttle, to see what setting will be optimal for your purposes.. Success!
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
Aresby
Mystified Moa

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:14 am

Ah, yes, that throttle setting does ring bells. I'll experiment tonight. When you say "slow down MWP considerably", under what circumstances? I realise it will be downloading (up to) the entire message but, well, so what? My PC runs 24x7 and downloads every 5 minutes or so (in a sometimes futile attempt to run dozens of rules that delete all the spam mail before my smartphone gets them, every 30 minutes). This wouldn't slow down MWP when I decide to review the emails received so far and click the Outlook button and download stuff would it, just when it retrieves email from the server to determine its validity?

Thanks so much for the answers so far, I feel this may well be the answer!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:21 am

If you set MailWasher to retrieve the full 9999 lines, then emails with attachments are going to cause issue as MailWasher potentially has thousands of more lines to process. Custom Filters in particular then have a lot more data to work with.

As as aside, for POP accounts you can optionally set MailWasher to use RETR instead of TOP, that will always download the full email ignoring the number of lines (Accounts >> Setting >> Incoming >> Advanced)

I would start with 500 lines, you won't notice any performance difference. Or if you don't receive attachments often, then 9999 will be fine.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:34 am

Aresby wrote:My PC runs 24x7 and downloads every 5 minutes or so (in a sometimes futile attempt to run dozens of rules that delete all the spam mail before my smartphone gets them, every 30 minutes).
A 5-minute polling interval is on the frequent side — some e-mail services could lock your account (you might feel that it has never happened with you — but different e-mail services have different policies.) ;)
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Aresby
Mystified Moa

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:37 am

Just checked my settings; it was set to 300 lines and an accuracy vs speed setting of 2. Do I've changed it to 500 lines and accuracy of 1. I'll see if it makes any difference, if not I have no option than to set it to the full 999 lines.

My mail is retrieved every 4 minutes from about 10 different email accounts, and this has been running fine with my ISP for years (I have my own domain so I don't think they restrict me unless they think I've been compromised, which I was once. Then they blacklisted me until I contacted them!)

Thanks for all this info guys, I'll see how restored mail improves on the next day's spam collection!

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”