How to remove "today" "yesterday" etc

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
LeslieLawson3
Rattled Rabbit

How to remove "today" "yesterday" etc

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:22 am

All,
Have just upgraded to a new Windows 10 computer and when I downloaded my MailWasher I now have a sort feature I do NOT want! My messages come in with "today" and "yesterday" etc. then by account. How do you turn this off? I want a sort by account names only.

Help, please!
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: How to remove "today" "yesterday" etc

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:29 am

Does this post help?
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:18 am

I want a sort by account names only.
Just click on the "To" column heading if you want to sort by accounts in alphabetical order. Click again to sort in reverse alphabetical order.

Personally, I always sort on the Received column. I want to see which emails in my inbox are the oldest and which are the most recent.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:50 am

You can sort on multiple columns by holding down the shift key and clicking on the ones you want starting with the primary sort.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
LeslieLawson3
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:45 am

I've used MailWasher for years. I know you can sort. What I've never seen before is this newest inclusion of the Yesterday and Today lines. I want them GONE!

So, I've had to wait a day to do screen shot
Mailwasher.png
screen shot
Mailwasher.png (26.11 KiB) Viewed 13188 times
so you can see what I'm seeing. As a note, when I got a new computer 2 years ago, MailWasher didn't include this feature. Got a new computer this week, downloaded MailWasher and it now has it. Again, I want this line gone! No amount of sorting will make these lines go away.

MailWasher make this line go away - or at least make it optional. Obviously someone thought it was a good idea. It wasn't me though! :)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:15 am

LeslieLawson3 wrote:What I've never seen before is this newest inclusion of the Yesterday and Today lines. I want them GONE!
To remove only the Yesterday and Today segregation you can use the following illustration:—
Remove_Received_or_Arrived.png
Remove_Received_or_Arrived.png (47.29 KiB) Viewed 13150 times
[/center]

To remove all the segregations, you can use the following instructions:—
  1. Click Display Options
  2. Tick (enable) Show column headers
  3. Tick (enable) Show grouping bar
  4. Right-click each of the Headers on the Grouping Bar one-by-one, and
  5. Remove them all one-by-one.
Deleting_Headers_From_The_Grouping_Bar.png
Deleting_Headers_From_The_Grouping_Bar.png (148.64 KiB) Viewed 13185 times
[/center]
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:55 am

MailWasher make this line go away - or at least make it optional. Obviously someone thought it was a good idea. It wasn't me though!
You seem to be "blaming" Mailwasher but frankly, putting the Received "timestamp" of messages is typical for "all" email handlers. If it was not there in your previous installation, that is because some time in the past, you deleted that column and you forgot about it, and how to do it.

For the record, I have never seen the word "Yesterday". Only "Today" and the time for today's messages, and the previous day's dates and the time (a typical time stamp) for earlier messages. So the word "Today" instead of today's date may be unique to Mailwasher, but inserting a timestamp is normal. And most people want to know this information so it makes sense for it to be displayed by default. I like to see when messages are sent as well (so I know how long it took for a message to be delivered) so I have both Sent and Received columns displayed.

If you don't want a column, simply right click on the column header bar and uncheck the columns you don't want displayed.

If you are using groupings, follow the instructions above.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
LeslieLawson3
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:49 am

Bill,
It appears from the tone of your message that you're angry about my message. It was never my intent to anger anyone over the request to know how to turn off the unwanted messages I'm seeing. Perhaps you can step back a bit an realize that I can't imagine it would be anyone's intent to do so.

I'm not trying to attach blame. I'm trying to figure out how to turn off a feature that I don't want. No drama. No anger. For me to show you the word "Yesterday" I'll have to wait for another day to pass to screen shot it for you. The tone of your message leaves me feeling I must prove the message to receive help resolving it. Doesn't seem necessary nor very friendly, does it?

I thank you for the screen shots. The key to turning off the "Today" was the right click under Received. Unchecked "Group by Received" and the word went away. I'll hope that will resolve the "yesterday" messages as well.

Thank you again for your screen shots. I hope your day gets better from here.

Best Regards.
michaelkenward
Guardian Gecko

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:45 pm

LeslieLawson3 wrote:It was never my intent to anger anyone over the request to know how to turn off the unwanted messages I'm seeing.
In that case you need to tone down your GONE! style.

I also interpreted your approach to be an accusation that Mailwasher had screwed up whereas in reality you just need to do a bit of work in the help file.

Check out the How to group emails section.

Grouping is a powerful way of organising things. It is certainly more than two years old.

Instead of just creating a simple view with or without those nasty today/yesterday flags, sniff arround a bit and you may get something even more to your taste.

The Help file could be clearer, with a few examples of what users can achieve.
MK
MW Pro 7.5.0 Lifetime licence.
Android 1.4 on Asus Nexus 7 and LG Nexus 4

Windows 10 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCI-e AHCI SSD + Corsair 16GB DDR4 Red Vengeance LPX 2400MHz Memory
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:01 am

The problem with text posts in forums is "tone of voice" cannot be heard, neither can "body language" or "facial expressions" be seen. I actually go to great effort to avoid emotionally personal replies and instead try to be "matter of fact" - especially in technical discussions. I was not angry at you. I was simply being matter of fact.

You suggested rather strongly that viewing the message timestamps was (1) not optional and it was (2) somebody's bad idea, definitely not yours. Well that is not true on both counts. It is (1) an easy option to disable/enable and (2) most users want email timestamps displayed. It is probably the most common way to prioritize emails (first in, first out), even if grouping on sender first.

No worries about the word "Yesterday". As I noted, I do see "Today" (I just see 7/15/2017 for yesterday's email). The issue is the column and as noted above, if you are not using grouping, "simply right click on the column header bar and uncheck the columns you don't want displayed."
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
Scudrunner
It begins with a single step

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:32 am

Obviously there was some gross miscommunication in this thread. I too have the dividers (not column headers, but dividers) that separate today, yesterday, last week, last month etc... see attachment.
I would like to get rid of these dividers also so I can see all the emails from one address in one place, not have to look in today, yesterday, last month etc. If I select RECEIVED as the header I want to sort on, although they are sorted, they are divided by the date received. If you don't see the dividers, you don't know what it is doing to the rest of us.
So the questions remains, how do we get rid of the dividers, not the headers.
MW.jpg
MW.jpg (93.05 KiB) Viewed 12665 times
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:49 am

Scudrunner wrote:So the questions remains, how do we get rid of the dividers, not the headers.
The Received Header is present on your Grouping Bar — just follow my first illustration and right-click the Received Header to remove it. ;)

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”