MW Pro 7.11.0 - Mailwasher has stopped deleting emails.

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
JcJules
Mystified Moa

Re: MW Pro 7.11.0 - Mailwasher has stopped deleting emails.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks for the explanation. The fact that Comcast may be using multiple servers - which aren't properly synced regarding my instructions to delete certain emails - makes sense. However, the problems would have to be massive to explain Comcast's failure to delete messages which were ordered deleted 10 or more times. Basically for your explanation to work, I would have to hit 10 different servers - which haven't synced with each other over an 8 hour period. That seems extremely unlikely. Nonetheless, I will try your idea of using a set IP address on a trial basis. If it works, I will continue to use the set IP for the next 24 hours to see what happens.
As to the Anti-Virus, I am using Windows Defender (included in Windows 10) as my firewall. I am using System Mechanic's Shield as my malware program. Neither program offers an option of disabling it as to only emails. To test your theory that the MWP problem is caused by an interferrence by my system security software, I will disable both - for a short time - to test send, receive and delete email.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:28 pm

No need to touch Windows Defender, that doesn't have any specific email feature.

I'm not familiar with the other program, it may have an email scanner module that can be turned off http://support.iolo.com/link/portal/160 ... ntiSpyware
JcJules
Mystified Moa

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:16 am

I tried your no AntiVirus and direct IP address ideas this morning, but wasn't able to set it up correctly. When I removed "mail.comcast.net" as the incoming server address and replaced it with "2001:558:fe21:2a::7:", the IP address returned by the Ping test, MWP reported "Unable to connect to Server." Is there some special format that I need to use to list the direct IP address? Next suggestion.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Oh, I didn't expect it to return an IPv6 address

In that case the command to enter is
ping -4 mail.comcast.net

That will return the IPv4 address
JcJules
Mystified Moa

Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:38 am

OK. I turned off my malware program, and then pinged and got the IPv4 address, inserted it into one of my Comcast account email setups in MWP as the incoming server, and then ordered all of the spam emails in that account to be deleted. I then went to the Comcast server to see if the emails were actually deleted. THEY WERE NOT DELETED. I have taken screen shots of MWP inbox showing these emails checked for deletion - and MWP's report that "Washing is complete." I then have a second screen shot of the Comcast server showing all of these emails still on the server - AFTER the MWP "washing is complete" report. Let me know if you have an email address where you want me to send the two screen shots. NOTE that before I changed to the specific IP address, emails that were marked for washing would disappear from the MWP inbox screen until the next sweep. When the specific IP address is used, the emails marked for deletion remain on the MWP inbox screen, with the deletion box marked, nothwithstanding repeated "washes" and "washing is completed" reports from MWP. What is your next theory as to cause??????
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:15 am

Send me the logs folder, under Help >> User Files >> if you can Zip and email me the Logs folder to forum@firetrust.com
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:08 pm

OK got your logs. Can you try the following.

Under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> change your username to your full Comcast email address >> click Advanced >> remove the check mark to use PIPELINING when Deleting Mail >> Save.

You could also try using IMAP in MailWasher, that may be more reliable.

From MailWashers point of view though, the logs are showing the delete commands being accepted, no errors, and MailWasher assumes it all works. Then as you say, next time it checks the messages are still there, so reload...
JcJules
Mystified Moa

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:18 am

I tried using the full email address as my incoming user name and removing the checkmark from the Pipelining when Deleting. If anything, it made the problem worse.

After making these two changes, MWP inbox changed to create two copies of each email. After marking the span (and the extra copies) to be deleted, MWP inbox removed "most" of the emails - but as to three, which were each marked to be deleted, MWP simply continued to "Wash" for 5 minutes, without deleting those three. I ended up having to stop the wash. I then went to my ISP server to see of the other emails were actually deleted. They were NOT deleted. So, even though they have been deleted on the MWP inbox screen, they are still on my server. Accordingly, when I opened Outlook, all of these spam messages were downloaded by Outlook. The reason that I use MWP is to prevent that spam from ever reaching Outlook. That didn't happen. I am going to send you a copy of this message and my log files and screen shots via email.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:35 pm

So there is a bunch of temporary errors that were sent back by the server, that could have been when you saw some hiccups, MW got sent back.
-ERR internal server error
Which is cannot do anything about...

Again, MW shows itself being able to delete OK, but I can see there are times when the emails do return next check. MailWasher not getting any error on delete, has to assume it happened all OK.

Personally I would uninstall >> wipe all data >> reinstall and add each account back manually, using the same settings that Outlook is set to.
bohurst
It begins with a single step

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:05 am

Thanks worked for me.
JcJules
Mystified Moa

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:31 am

Please be more specific. "uninstall - wipe data - reinstall" - are you referring to the MWP program only? Outlook?
"Add each account back manually" - again, are you referring only to adding the email accounts back into MWP? Not deleting and adding them back into Outlook?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:33 pm

JcJules wrote:Please be more specific. "uninstall - wipe data - reinstall" - are you referring to the MWP program only? Outlook?
"Add each account back manually" - again, are you referring only to adding the email accounts back into MWP? Not deleting and adding them back into Outlook?
Yeah just MailWasher I am talking about

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”