New user question: Do I keep Outlook open?

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
hotel
Rattled Rabbit

New user question: Do I keep Outlook open?

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:20 pm

Hello

I have installed Mailwasher Pro. I followed instructions and marked messages. Then clicked Wash Mail.
Outlook opened and I see my messages. Good.

Now what? Do I close Outlook, or can I keep it open?
The Mailwasher vs Outlook flow is not clear to me. Can you explain?

Thanks.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: New user question: Do I keep Outlook open?

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:40 pm

hotel wrote:Now what? Do I close Outlook, or can I keep it open?
It is your wish — let it be open if you have any other chores to do on your Outlook (if not — obviously, close it.)

hotel wrote:The Mailwasher vs Outlook flow is not clear to me. Can you explain?
There is no flow between MailWasher and Outlook — MailWasher merely launches Outlook for your convenience (if you want it to.)

Your Outlook receives/sends mails directly from/to your mail server — not through MailWasher.

Likewise, MailWasher receives/sends mails directly from/to your mail server — not through your Outlook.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:11 am

Do I close Outlook, or can I keep it open?
Yes, you can keep it open (I do) but you need to disable automatic send and receive. Otherwise, every few minutes (I think 10 minutes is the default) Outlook will go out and fetch any waiting email even if you have not processed it in MailWasher.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
hotel
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks for the feedback. Can you help me further please?

On my PC. I use Outlook Rules to forward important emails to me (so i can read them on my mobile phone while out). Other emails get moved to various folders that I read on my PC later.
So I need to allow Outlook to retrieve messages when I'm out.

Now Mailwasher appears to be a manual system, in that I have to physically classify and click Wash mail for it to work. So I guess I need to install it on my mobile phone and run it from time to time. Any suggestions?
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:30 am

You would defeat the purpose of having a good spam blocker like MailWasher if you allowed Outlook to download then forward emails to you.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
hotel
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks for your reply. I get what you say.
However, I am looking to see if there is any way to incorporate Mailwasher into the way I operate.

I need to get emails while I am out. And Outlook does that by sorting them via Rules. That results in important emails being forwarded to my phone.

It would be nice if Mailwasher could do the spam stuff first. But I guess it cannot because the mail wash step looks like it need to be done manually.
Is there any way to get it to wash automatically after it downloads the latest messages?
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:29 am

This is out of my wheelhouse. The only emails that get downloaded to my Outlook are keepers - emails I want to keep AFTER MWP has done its thing.

I rarely ever need to see an email while I am out. But if there is one, I don't run Outlook as that would download the email and make it inaccessible (I don't leave copies of my emails on the servers).

While I have 7 email accounts MWP manages, they all can be accessed via webmail access via my ISP or, for example, by logging manually into my gmail accounts. So if there are emails I need to see while out, I would just leave them in MWP (don't run Outlook) or manually access the webmail inboxes before processing with MWP and move those emails to a folder on the webmail page MW does not access. This is rather labor intensive but since it is something I do so rarely, no big deal for me.

Others who have similar needs as you may have better ideas.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
BunnySlope
Student Sheep

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:28 am

Late to this thread, so hopefully you're still monitoring.
(and I'm really not sure this qualifies as a "better idea", but I'll let you decide...)

Just as Mailwasher is not "integrated" with Outlook as a solution (i.e. it's a multi-step process to retrieve, classify, wash/bounce/delete, and then open Outlook to retrieve mail), there is a solution, but it would require an additional step.
That is, installing/enabling a remote desktop application (e.g. TeamViewer) and then ensuring that the pc is always available/on.
In order to make this work (from your Smartphone, Tablet, Laptop, etc.) you'd use TeamViewer to access your desktop. Then run Mailwasher as you normally would. Then access your email through the device you are currently using. Viola! (It's really more of a PitA, the additional steps, but it works.)

However, if someone has any scripts or macros...I'm open to suggestions!

GL :thumbsup
hotel
Rattled Rabbit

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Thanks BunnySlope for your reply.
So your suggestion is to have a PC always on, then access it remotely to run Mailwasher, then Outlook.
Yes that would work, but as you say a bit of a PITA.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”