MW showing different sizes in case of forwarded mails

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
mw62
Active Albatross

MW showing different sizes in case of forwarded mails

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Up front: nothing to worry about and no doubt there is a logical explanation for it, but...

when sending emails with multiple attachments (let's say a number of images)
from X to Y
then automatically forwarded
from Y to Z

they will show up with different sizes in Mailwasher, which may lead to the idea
that maybe some attachments were rejected, for whatever reason.

when checking the mails in Outlook, the sizes are identical.

again, nothing to worry about, but I got a little puzzled wondering whether something went wrong somewhere.. :-)

same goes for even larger mails: the other day I sent a (very) large mail, with many large size screenshots from gmail to gmail (27MB).
the 27MB showed up in Mailwasher alright, but, same as above, mail was forwarded to Outlook and it was cut down to 20MB
I solved this in another way.
When creating an email and adding attachments, Gmail does not show the size of the attachments, nor the size of the mail. It might be overlooking a feature though.
(nothing to do with MW of course)
=
SnagIt-06122017 051940.png
SnagIt-06122017 051940.png (52.62 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
=
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: MW showing different sizes in case of forwarded mails

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:55 pm

From what I've just read, Base64 encoded messages are roughly 1.37 times bigger than the original https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/d ... sa-00.html and that works out in my test, where 14MB attachments arrived in my GMail and Work accounts as 19.3MB emails.

Outlook though (via webmail), is reporting the size as being 14MB, so they're doing something a little bit different. Exactly what I don't know, but it's essentially not having that extra data in size due to encoding.
mw62
Active Albatross

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Ah, right, so it has something to do with encoding.

BTW: The above examples are Outlook 2016 (desktop),both as forwarded mail (bottom) and in the final inbox (middle).

Anyway, thanks for the quick feedback.

Best regards
-
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Yeah, a quick Google didn't help me, but it does look like outlook.com email accounts are having some kind of post processing done on the received files, reducing them in size.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”