Making MWP to delete emails in the server

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
robertolito
Rattled Rabbit

Making MWP to delete emails in the server

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:04 am

I would like to set up MWP to delete the emails after I mark them for deletion and I click on Wash Mail
As it is set now, it checks emails but if I Mail Wash them they remain in the server and then I have the
double work of deleting them with the email client which defeats the purpose of Mail Washer.
I cannot find any setting that will tell MWP to just delete the messages in the server when Mail Washed
(marked as deleted). Is there a way?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Making MWP to delete emails in the server

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:30 am

MailWasher does delete the emails off the server, so I have some questions :)

What email provider are you using
In MailWasher under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> is the account setup as POP or IMAP (displays that top)
In your email program, is the account setup as POP or IMAP
robertolito
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:34 pm

Well, it doesn't seem to delete because I do the "washing' with MWP and then when I open the
mail client Thunderbird, it downloads the same emails.
As to the email providers here is the list:
gmail.com
hotmail.com
ISP suddenlinkmail.com
POPs and SMTPs at Hostgator.com web hosting for different domains I own.

As to the Server Type: All the Accounts setup at MWP are set in IMAP
And in the mail client Thunderbird they are also set in IMAP.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:48 pm

So if you delete some emails in MailWasher, then restart the program and recheck the account, do the emails you deleted load back in ?
bluegrass
It begins with a single step

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:53 pm

I have the same issue.

When I set Mailwasher up the first time, I saw an option (recommended) to delete mail on the server, and I removed the tick, which turns out to have been a mistake, and has left me with the same problem as the OP describes.

Since then, I have combed my way through all the settings, searching in vain for where the option is, to turn this feature back on. I simply cannot find it anywhere.

If someone could advise how to turn this option on again, that would solve my issue and that the OP has described.

I have Thunderbird as my mail client, and an IMAP email setup, which has been imported into Mailwasher pro.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:47 pm

bluegrass wrote:I have the same issue.

When I set Mailwasher up the first time, I saw an option (recommended) to delete mail on the server, and I removed the tick, which turns out to have been a mistake, and has left me with the same problem as the OP describes.

Since then, I have combed my way through all the settings, searching in vain for where the option is, to turn this feature back on. I simply cannot find it anywhere.

If someone could advise how to turn this option on again, that would solve my issue and that the OP has described.

I have Thunderbird as my mail client, and an IMAP email setup, which has been imported into Mailwasher pro.
I think this is a different issue, as I understand it robertolito has the issue that emails they delete in MailWasher are not deleting from the server.

That option you mention is MailWasher turning off ThunderBirds 'Leave emails on server after download' which isn't feasible with IMAP. With IMAP, it's a synchronised email system, so what shows in your TB Inbox, is what is on the server, what would show in MailWasher, your webmail etc...

The only ways to have TB remove a message after it retrieves a message would be :
Move it to a subfolder, that removes it from Inbox and removes it from MailWashers view.
Read the email in TB, as by default MailWasher when also using IMAP only loads Unread Inbox emails.
Remove the account from TB and add it back as a POP3 account, doing this you could then set TB to remove the copy of the message after download.
SparkWizard
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks for that @rusticdog

What bluegrass saying is not that Mailwasher is turning off ThunderBirds 'Leave emails on server after download' at all.

It is that when Mailwasher deletes a Spam email, this spam email is not removed from the inbox on webmail and Thunderbird (it should remove both given Thunderbird synchronizes using IMAP). This makes having Mailwasher pointless, as you don't get rid of any spam that way.

What bluegrass has not been able to find (nor have I) is any option to turn on making Mailwasher delete the spam email on the server or Thunderbird (either would do, as the other will then sync the change anyway).

Anyone know how to do that?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm

Yeah, but that's how MW works which is where it gets confusing.

MailWasher when using IMAP and deleting, sets the /delete flag on the message then issues the EXPUNGE command, which purges all deleted messages from the selected folder. TB/webmail etc...should pick up the removed message next time they cycle the check.

If you want to show me via remote session, feel free to email me at forum@firetrust.com
I prefer to use AnyDesk for such things https://anydesk.com/download
SparkWizard
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Okay: this bit isn't working:

"MailWasher when using IMAP and deleting, sets the /delete flag on the message then issues the EXPUNGE command, which purges all deleted messages from the selected folder. TB/webmail etc...should pick up the removed message next time they cycle the check."

TB isn't picking anything up: nothing changes on TB or webmail webmail. The spam is still there.
dslew
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:36 am

I too am having the similar problem. Here are my pertinent pieces of info. Microsoft 7 PC 64 bit, Comcast in California, mail program using POP3 format MS Outlook/Office2016. I've been using MWPro for years now and just in the past 1 month or so am having sporadic experiences with washing my deleted email, and then having the same emails reappear. In the progress bar on the bottom, it shows the deleted emails happening, but when I recheck, they sometimes are deleted (it seems early in the morning or late at night), and often times they are deleted from the MW list, but then I come back later they reappear. I have MS outllook set not to delete emails from the server. I have MWpro installed on my computer at home and the office and the identical things is happening at both locations. The computers and locations are all unchanged, as well as my email and settings. Ive tried playing with SSL (on and off), but it is still sparadic in deleting my unwanted email. TIA for your help.

Doug
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:47 am

dslew wrote:I too am having the similar problem. Here are my pertinent pieces of info. Microsoft 7 PC 64 bit, Comcast in California, mail program using POP3 format MS Outlook/Office2016. I've been using MWPro for years now and just in the past 1 month or so am having sporadic experiences with washing my deleted email, and then having the same emails reappear. In the progress bar on the bottom, it shows the deleted emails happening, but when I recheck, they sometimes are deleted (it seems early in the morning or late at night), and often times they are deleted from the MW list, but then I come back later they reappear. I have MS outllook set not to delete emails from the server. I have MWpro installed on my computer at home and the office and the identical things is happening at both locations. The computers and locations are all unchanged, as well as my email and settings. Ive tried playing with SSL (on and off), but it is still sparadic in deleting my unwanted email. TIA for your help.

Doug

Both MW and Outlook are set to use POP3 I take it, and all setups are using the same server address mail.comcast.net ?

Go into Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> be sure Store Cached Mail is unchecked. If it is checked, uncheck >> Save >> restart MailWasher.
dslew
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 am

Reviewed and confirmed. Yes - stored cached email was off. Restarted computer and problem still persists.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 am

Alright, can we do a remote session ?

If you want to show, feel free to email me at forum@firetrust.com
I prefer to use AnyDesk for such things https://anydesk.com/download

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”