Link in email being changed in Mailwasher

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
genegold
Guardian Gecko

Link in email being changed in Mailwasher

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:37 am

Mailwasher Pro 7.11.0, Win 10. I've just had an exchange with a website because the latest post link in their forum email notifications were giving an "item can't be located" error. It turns out the reason is that the '&tab' in the email as the site produces it is being turned into a '&amp' in Mailwasher. In MWP, I've got the HTML setting in Display checked, although I'm not sure exactly how it works and whether or not I'd made the site in question a friend - it shows in green. Here are the links:

As it should be: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/foru ... ent-814123

As it's showing in Mailwasher: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/foru ... ent=814114

What's behind this switch? Thanks,
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Re: Link in email being changed in Mailwasher

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:22 am

For what it's worth, I have seen this and reported it before with emails notifications for replies from the Malwarebytes forums. It was determined the problem was with they way Malwarebytes formats their messages. If the same issue, it means there's nothing Mailwasher can do about it. Sorry.

For FT staff the previous report is located here.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
genegold
Guardian Gecko

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:36 am

Thanks. Fwiw, I sent Chris the headers of an example. It's the only site's emails I've come across where MWP is doing this. More often, I see emails where the second line of the link is not hyperlinked.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:51 am

genegold wrote:Thanks. Fwiw, I sent Chris the headers of an example. It's the only site's emails I've come across where MWP is doing this. More often, I see emails where the second line of the link is not hyperlinked.
The header you pulled was from within MailWasher or some other source ?

In either case, I've signed up and subbed to a couple of threads with heavy traffic, so will check out when some start coming in.
genegold
Guardian Gecko

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:06 am

The header I sent earlier today was from my email client. I've just resent it, along with another header from within MWP (Source) on top. The latter was taken from an email notification from that forum thread which just came. I've sent both to forum@firetrust.com. That the right address? I also just re-sent the latter to the address I have for you (Chris) from several years ago. It hasn't bounced yet.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:27 am

Yup, the forum address just redirects to me, both are good :)

As the formatting might change slightly when sending me the headers/source through mail, I'll wait for some to arrive in my account.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:43 am

OK got one through, when I view one of these emails in Plain Text in ThunderBird I get the same issue, so first glance, it doesn't seem like it's just MW. Looks to be much the same as Digerati's, where the URL they reference in the Plain Text portion of the message is different than the HTML version.

You use Sylpheed by looks of it, which I thought was only a Plain Text email viewer. Do you not get the same issue in that, or does that show the HTML message by default
genegold
Guardian Gecko

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:48 am

Same issue in Sylpheed, unless I switch over to text/html mode and then the links go to good pages. I also sent you a header of a later one from MWP and a screenshot of the earlier one in MWP. That is, the change is occurring before it gets to Sylpheed, either in MWP or somewhere between sender and there.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:11 pm

Yeah, so if Sylpheed, ThunderBird, MailWasher etc..all show the same issue it's a problem most likely with their formatting of the URL in the Plain Text portion of the message.

They all handle the HTML version fine, it's only when viewing the email in Plain Text does this problem occur.
genegold
Guardian Gecko

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:17 pm

So are you saying that it's the source, i.e., the coding of the plain text URL that's coming from the website? They, of course, claimed that the URL was correct, but I didn't know enough to break it down between text and HTML coding.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:19 pm

Yup. Just tell them the problem is repeatable in all mail clients when viewing the mail as Plain Text. Typically when people hear MailWasher, they immediately assume it's the software....and they're not wrong, it often is, just not this time :)

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”