A bug and an annoyance

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Ira
Travelling Tuatara

A bug and an annoyance

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:12 am

I've been using Mailwasher for many years and finally upgraded to 7. The annoyance is the Check Mail button which has a tiny invisible arrow that triggers a drop down menu I never want to see. Is there any way to get rid of that?

The bug is this: Click in the list and scroll down through the messages occasionally pressing D, then move the mouse to check Show HTML, then use the scroll wheel to scroll the message, then move the mouse back over the message and press D. Instant crash every time. Does not happen if you also check Show Remote Content or accidentally do almost anything else.

Does not require scrolling the message to crash.

Ira
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: A bug and an annoyance

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:17 am

Hi Ira

No way to get rid of the drop down unfortunately.

With regards to the crash, can you send me your logs. If you go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'for chris re crash' >> in the Ticket Number field enter chris >> Send Logs >> reply back here once sent.
Ira
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:26 am

Sent, let me know if you don't get them.

Could you then make that an option at some point or at least make the arrow visible, sad to say, it's a really badly designed button. An option that says always check all would be just peachy. I can think of a couple of was to code it, neither should take more than an hour or two.

Ira
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:50 am

Yes, will add to list to look at the options. If you don't mind losing the space, from the main MailWasher screen click Display Options >> at the top, listed under ZOOM is an icon with 3 dots, click the drop down and increase the size of the buttons. This will make the arrow more visible as the button size increases.

As for the crashing, safe to say I've never seen this before. First can check Windows Updates and be sure you have any/all .NET and Internet Explorer related updates installed.

Once you are sure they are updated, download and run the .NET Repair Utility https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/downloa ... x?id=30135
You can expect it to take about 10 minutes

If that doesn't help, I would look to run a System File Scan, this can take slightly longer though usually under 15 minutes
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ted-system
Ira
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Did all that, no errors, no change in behavior. Windows 10 pro always with the latest upgrades. It's a guaranteed crash, if I follow those directions, it crashes every time. Took me a long time to figure it out because it's infrequent. I'd only see it every few months, only today did I see the steps it took and figure out I can make it happen at will. When I press D I get a spinning cursor for a short time and then it just disappears. The length of the short time varies from almost nothing to a few seconds.

Ira
Ira
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:10 am

There is something else that might be involved. When marking mail I hover the mouse over the list and use Down and D to mark all the messages. If I move the mouse so it's over the message window and use the scroll wheel and then back to the list window, the next key is lost. i.e., if I want to move the highlight it takes 2 presses of the Down key but if I want to mark it for delete, it only takes one press of the D key.

Ira
Ira
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:17 am

Why when I click on a link in the message did it bring up Internet Explorer? It's Windows 10 and while it's still there it's deprecated and should vanish soon. Why don't you let Windows choose the browser? I make this .NET call and it calls the default browser.

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("http://www.roasterthing.com")

That's VB.NET but I assume you can do something similar.

Ira
Ira
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:26 am

Another one, why when arrowing through the list does it stop on the titles meaning it takes 2 Arrow presses to go between sections. Then when you are on a title, pressing Space incorrectly open a message that's not currently highlighted.

Ira
Ira
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 am

For what it's worth, I showed Mailwasher to a friend yesterday and he immediately purchased it and his Mailwasher crashes with exactly the same steps, so it's not my computer!!!!

Ira

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”