Hide EMail Client Button in Toolbar of MailWasher

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Olin
Rattled Rabbit

Hide EMail Client Button in Toolbar of MailWasher

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Dear Firetrust Support Team,

I am using MailWasher against an IMAP server and have checked "Launch email program after Wash Mail" for Thunderbird. As a result the Thunderbird button in the toolbar appears. This could lead to me accidently clicking on the Thunderbird button without washing the mail account first. It would be nice if I could hide the email client button (in my case Thunderbird) from the toolbar altogether so I can't make a mistake. Would you consider to introduce another setting hiding the email button from the toolbar even if the email client is specified so it can be launched after pressing the "Wash Mail" button.

Thanks for a short answer in advance.

Kind regards,
Olin
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Re: Hide EMail Client Button in Toolbar of MailWasher

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:47 am

I understand what you are asking, but I don't see how that would be more convenient.

What I recommend you do is disabling the "check for new email when starting" option in T-Bird. I don't use T-Bird so I don't know the exact verbiage or menu location. But disabling this automatic feature will prevent T-Bird from retrieving emails that MWP has yet to "wash". Then, if you accidentally or even on purpose start T-Bird, it will not fetch any emails until you manually tell it you. That is, when YOU are ready.

This is what I have done with my email client (Outlook). Works great.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
Olin
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Thank you Bill. I have disabled the Server settings: "Check for new messages at startup" in T-Bird. But unfortunately, disabling this automatic feature does not prevent T-Bird from retrieving emails that MWP has yet to "wash". Thus, if I accidentally or even on purpose start T-Bird, it still does fetch any emails from MWP. It is a mistery - so far ...
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:47 pm

In ThunderBird if you go into Tools >> Account Settings >> Server Settings >> uncheck "Allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive" that will stop the messages coming in automatically. It will mean that you need to use Get Messages in ThunderBird to bring in the emails.

Cheers
Olin
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Thank you, Rusticdog.
I have done it, but to no avail...
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 pm

If you haven't restarted TB since making the change, do that first.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:55 am

But unfortunately, disabling this automatic feature does not prevent T-Bird from retrieving emails that MWP has yet to "wash".
If T-Bird is fetching emails automatically when you start Windows or when you start T-Bird (or every few minutes after starting T-Bird), those are settings within T-Bird and not anything to do with MWP. If restarting as RD suggested does not help, you need to check your account settings carefully.

That said, there will ALWAYS be a window between MWP checking your emails and when your client checks for and pulls your emails down when a spam message could slip in there. There's just no way to avoid that.

But you can make that window as tiny as possible by having both MWP and your email client (in this case, T-bird) open. Then do one last check with MWP to check for new emails. If none, quickly move to your email client and get your emails. Hopefully no more than a second or two passes.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”