MWP, gmail, syncing, et al

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
dsteelman
Rattled Rabbit

MWP, gmail, syncing, et al

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:18 am

Could use some help guys. I have Mailwasher Pro 7.11.10...just downloaded today. I have Thunderbird as an email client, and I use gmail within Thunderbird. I've been at this most of the day.
After some reading I created a new POP account for my gmail account and deleted the old IMAP account. Mailwasher Pro seems to function (at least in part) on my desktop using that POP account, because emails I wash or delete don't show up in the Gmail account in Thunderbird. However, the emails DO show up in my inbox at the mail.google.com website. They also show up on my phone. despite having installed the mobile app and syncing the account. I've tested deleting and bouncing, and both still show up in my gmail account both at the gmail website and on my phone.
What am I doing wrong?
dsteelman
Rattled Rabbit

Re: MWP, gmail, syncing, et al Further Reference

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 am

For further reference my settings in MWP are:
Accounts- POP3, pop.gmail.com, store cached ticked, Port 995, pipelining both unchecked
In Thunderbird- pop.gmail.com, port 995, all server settings unchecked
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: MWP, gmail, syncing, et al

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Gmail does have it's own unique way of doing things. Internally it seems to use a labelling system, which means your Inbox can vary depending on access method.

Your phone and webmail will show you the same as an IMAP setup. POP setups can be customised, for example here https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/fwdandpop my current POP settings are to show all mail that has arrived since 30/11/2016. I could change it to only show email that arrives from now on, giving me significant difference between the IMAP and POP Inbox.

If you want webmail, phone, TB and MW to all match up nicely, I'd switch to IMAP in MW and TB.

In MailWasher it's just a toggle.
Go Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> make sure Store Cached Email is unchecked >> set Account Type to IMAP >> Save.

In ThunderBird you need to unfortunately remove/disable the account and add it back. Good news, is that ThunderBird when adding a GMail account will add by default as IMAP.
IMAP accounts will synch as email arrives though, which is probably not a behaviour you want.

To prevent this in TB you can go into Tools >> Options >> Accounts >> uncheck the options to "Check for new messages at startup", "Check for new messages every xx minutes", and "Allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive" >> Save >> restart TB to make changes take effect.

What this would do is stop TB automatically retrieving emails as they arrive (a feature of IMAP) and to retrieve your mail into TB you just need to click "Get Messages"
dsteelman
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:00 am

rusticdog wrote:Gmail does have it's own unique way of doing things. Internally it seems to use a labelling system, which means your Inbox can vary depending on access method.

Your phone and webmail will show you the same as an IMAP setup. POP setups can be customised, for example here https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/fwdandpop my current POP settings are to show all mail that has arrived since 30/11/2016. I could change it to only show email that arrives from now on, giving me significant difference between the IMAP and POP Inbox.

If you want webmail, phone, TB and MW to all match up nicely, I'd switch to IMAP in MW and TB.

In MailWasher it's just a toggle.
Go Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> make sure Store Cached Email is unchecked >> set Account Type to IMAP >> Save.

In ThunderBird you need to unfortunately remove/disable the account and add it back. Good news, is that ThunderBird when adding a GMail account will add by default as IMAP.
IMAP accounts will synch as email arrives though, which is probably not a behaviour you want.

To prevent this in TB you can go into Tools >> Options >> Accounts >> uncheck the options to "Check for new messages at startup", "Check for new messages every xx minutes", and "Allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive" >> Save >> restart TB to make changes take effect.

What this would do is stop TB automatically retrieving emails as they arrive (a feature of IMAP) and to retrieve your mail into TB you just need to click "Get Messages"

Thanks.....I appreciate the advice. I actually switched from IMAP to POP right after installing MW based on other recommendations I had seen for MW....guess I shouldn't have. I believe I understand how your setup will work on my PC with Thunderbird, but I guess I'm still a bit confused about the interaction/syncing with my phone. On the PC the settings in TB will prevent automatic retrieval of emails. On my phone I just use Gmail...no Thunderbird. I've installed the mobile MW but how do I prevent emails from being immediately downloaded to Gmail on the phone with no opportunity to utilize MW? Do I change Gmail settings? And If I change Gmail settings to accommodate the phone will the process on the PC through TB be adversely impacted? I apologize if I'm making this more difficult than it is...just trying to understand.
dsteelman
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:55 am

Okay....thanks largely to your help I think I've worked through this. Explanation follows:

I set up a new IMAP email account in Thunderbird, and unchecked all the various boxes to stop auto retrieval of messages....as you recommended. In Mailwasher, under settings-accounts-incoming I set the account type to IMAP and unchecked Store Cached Email ( As an aside, people need to know that you can only uncheck the stored cached email box when you're still in the account type POP3....it's greyed out in account type IMAP). I then connected Mailwasher to that account and it works as it should on the PC....new emails appear in MW when you check mail and you can do what you want with them before they download from the server. If you click "get messages" in Thunderbird BEFORE using MW the emails will download from the server to the email client. You can still delete them in MW but it will be after the fact.

For my Android phone, I'm using the regular Gmail app (no Thunderbird or other 3rd party mail client) and I've installed Mailwasher Mobile. Gmail automatically pushes mail ...you can't control sync intervals without using a 3rd party app, so emails download to Gmail before you can use MW. I chose to turn off sync for gmail (in phone settings-accounts-Google-Gmail toggle off). That prevents the auto downloading in Gmail....so I check mail in the MW app first, wash or delete or whatever, before I open or refresh the gmail app. I believe you could also use a 3rd party sync interval app instead of turning off sync, but I haven't tried one. Either way, you just have to remember to check mail with MW FIRST before you open or refresh your email app.
Thanks again....

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”